Procedure if you test positive at pre embarkation in Canada

Hi All,

We are travelling to Canada in August for an extended trip with a 7 night road trip through the Rockies, 3 nights in Vancouver and then a week on Serenade cruising Alaska. I am clear on all the testing which currently needs to be done but what I am unsure about is what actually happens if we test positive in our pre cruise test.

I obviously know that we cannot get on the cruise ship but what do we actually do at that point? We will potentially have checked out of our hotel and not be allowed to board the ship so for practical purposes what would we then do? Are hotels allowing guests to book a room to quarantine in? - I obviously am hoping that this will be something I don't have to deal with but would like to be prepared!

Also our party is two families, if someone in one family tests positive would both families be denied boarding? 

Thanks in advance for your info. 

Mel

FYI all passengers bar one are fully vaccinated and the unvaccinated one is turning two three weeks before the cruise so not eligible for vaccine.

1 minute ago, Melcatfish said:

We will potentially have checked out of our hotel and not be allowed to board the ship so for practical purposes what would we then do?

You should know way earlier than checking out of the hotel if you test positive - you should test two days out. What you do, is up to you.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

Here is the COVID cancellation policy. You are entitled to a refund for the cancelled cruise. There is no mention of assistance for quarantine unless you test positive on board, but that is not what you are asking about.

See the policy for definition of Traveling Party or Close Contacts. 

Your hotel may be able to accommodate you for the required number of days or direct you to another one that has availability. Your travel insurance will help pay the cost of hotel and meals depending on the policy limits. Return transportation is covered by the Trip Interruption provision. You’ll need documented test results for both the cruise line and the insurance claim and likely a doctor’s confirmation of diagnosis for insurance.

Now is a good time to have a conversation with your insurance provider so that you know what to expect if the worst happens.

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You should know way earlier than checking out of the hotel if you test positive - you should test two days out. What you do, is up to you.

I guess my nightmare scenario is that we are all negative on initial precruise test but that the unvaccinated child is then positive on the embarkation test. Not likely but possible.

I have specifically got insurance that covers the cost of accommodation if we have to extend the trip due to isolating with covid but what I am unclear on is whether hotels are even accepting travelers who test positive to quarantine in their hotels. 

30 minutes ago, Melcatfish said:

I guess my nightmare scenario is that we are all negative on initial precruise test but that the unvaccinated child is then positive on the embarkation test. Not likely but possible.

I have specifically got insurance that covers the cost of accommodation if we have to extend the trip due to isolating with covid but what I am unclear on is whether hotels are even accepting travelers who test positive to quarantine in their hotels. 

I don’t think that is the problem it was at the beginning. Cruise lines had contracts with hotels to accommodate guests who needed to complete isolation, but there  are no designated quarantine hotels that I am aware of. The first thing to do is to ask your hotel if you can extend your stay if necessary because of COVID. If they are booked, they may be able to direct you to another facility. They are used to dealing with the situation.

• Like 1