Galveston - Best transportation options?

PSU_Redhead

Hi everyone - 

We will be flying into HOU and staying near the NASA center for 2 days, then heading to Galveston for a couple of days pre-cruise. I'm planning to Uber/Lyft from HOU to our hotel near NASA, then do the same from our first hotel near NASA to our VRBO in Galveston. For those of you more familiar with the area, does this option make the most sense? Any better suggestions (I'm going with the assumption that renting a car will cost more than any other option)?

Post cruise, we are flying out of HOU later in the evening of disembarkation. I used Uber's estimator to get an idea of pricing for that trip, and it was over $150 (even though the ride in the opposite direction was closer to $40). Does anyone know why this is the case? Any recommendations for something that may not be as pricey?

Thanks so much in advance for any input you may have! ❤️ 

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 10:43 PM, PSU_Redhead said:

Hi everyone - 

We will be flying into HOU and staying near the NASA center for 2 days, then heading to Galveston for a couple of days pre-cruise. I'm planning to Uber/Lyft from HOU to our hotel near NASA, then do the same from our first hotel near NASA to our VRBO in Galveston. For those of you more familiar with the area, does this option make the most sense? Any better suggestions (I'm going with the assumption that renting a car will cost more than any other option)?

Post cruise, we are flying out of HOU later in the evening of disembarkation. I used Uber's estimator to get an idea of pricing for that trip, and it was over $150 (even though the ride in the opposite direction was closer to $40). Does anyone know why this is the case? Any recommendations for something that may not be as pricey?

Thanks so much in advance for any input you may have! ❤️ 

Not sure if you have left yet, but I realized when I tried to book ahead (simulate) a booking on Uber or Lyft, the prices were much higher than if I booked immediately.  I tried this with my cruise out of Baltimore.  I kept getting $40-$50 prices, but when I tried to view immediate prices, it was much cheaper. It seems reserving ahead of time costs more.  I'm not sure if that's what you did or not, but I wanted to share just in case.

I am going to fly down and spend one night in Houston to visit the NASA center then go over to Galveston, the day before our cruise.  Good luck to you!