Spa suggestions?

Apologies if there's already a topic in the past on this. My wife and I are going to be first time Princess cruisers (14+ on Carnival previously) on the Royal embarking 3 September and I'm wanting to surprise her with a spa treatment. She's been through a lot the last few years as a nurse and I want to do something nice for her. She usually gets a mani/pedi before we leave so I think she's good there. She's the type that likes facials and massages. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for spa treatments based on past experiences? Couples massages are out because a) getting away from me is part of the appeal and b) I don't want strangers touching me. I appreciate any advice!

If you want to spurge, a massage and facial combo is lovely. A 100 minute Swedish massage is decadently fantastic unless she has a lot of knots from stress and can handle some discomfort, then it is time for a deep tissue massage. We do those upon embarkation to banish work stress. The hot stones are ok but they can always add that to any massage at the time of service. The higher end facials are technically interchangeable (book any of them) so the tech can provide what she needs based on her skin’s condition. It’s best to do the facial after the massage.

1 hour ago, _rusty_shackleford said:

Apologies if there's already a topic in the past on this. My wife and I are going to be first time Princess cruisers (14+ on Carnival previously) on the Royal embarking 3 September and I'm wanting to surprise her with a spa treatment. She's been through a lot the last few years as a nurse and I want to do something nice for her. She usually gets a mani/pedi before we leave so I think she's good there. She's the type that likes facials and massages. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for spa treatments based on past experiences? Couples massages are out because a) getting away from me is part of the appeal and b) I don't want strangers touching me. I appreciate any advice!

I understand you want to surprise your wife. As you have not sailed with Princess before, I am not sure Carnival spa’s work the same, but probably because they are all run by the UK company Steiner and usually operate similarly.

it is very likely on embarkation day, the Spa will be having ‘spa tours’ to introduce passengers to the facility and do a quick introduction of the services offered. There will be a ‘raffle’ for spa vouchers later that day usually around 5-5:30. You must be present to win and lately the prizes have been two $100 vouchers and two $150 vouchers . At the end of the raffle, the spa manager will then probably offer all attendee’s of the raffle a special that must be booked for the first couple of days. It is usually a combo massage/facial with a retail value of $299 that the manager will offer for around $169. The catch is you will need to book that night for either the first or second day.

The spa usually automatically adds a 18% tip/gratuity to all services.

You can enter the raffle by going just before it starts or going to the spa during the first few hours of embarkation. It should be listed in the ‘patter’.

The spa also usually has discounts if you book a treatment on a port day instead of a sea day. They also usually offer a rolling discount if you book multiple treatments, like 10% off 1st treatment, 20% off 2nd and 30% off third treatment if you book all at the same time. 

Would you feel comfortable going to the ‘raffle’ with your wife and if you do not win any vouchers to then book the manager special? 

• Like 1