Hawaiian island car rental

cruiser02

I am on the 2 april sailing of Pride of Aloha and am wondering about renting a car on Kauai and Maui. Do the rental companies provide shuttle service from the ship to their site at the airports?? If so, does it work well - crowded ?? If you keep the car overnight - what about parking?Any suggestions welcome

The shuttles are at both of these ports. Just make sure you have the local number with you in case you want to get off later that when the ship docks.

In Maui, there is parking at the pier, no charge but the fenced lot can get full quick and you end up parking outside of the fence which can make you a little uncomfortable. I have read where people just took it back to the rental agency when this happened.

We only rented for one day in Kauai, so I can't help about parking but it was very easy to shuttle there.

Thank you I was thinking about reserving a car in Maui from 8am - 10pm Is there a set time that you have to be back on the ship while it is docked overnight? Which rental compay did you use in Kauai? Would you suggest having a car there? I have been to the other islands but not Kauai...lived where living on Ohau back when the hurricane hit Kauai

On maui I would use Thrifty or Avis. Stay away from dollar always found it hard to get a shuttle back to the ship. Thrifty was always right on it. There is no set time to be back on the ship over night. You can come and go as u please. Get the car for both days, there is usally enough parking and if u park outside the gats no biggie did this many nights.

For kauai I would get a car once again Thrifty worked great and usally had the best rates. Parking on kauai was a bit tougher I always parked across from the shopping center there is an intersection there and just pulled the car onto what appeared to be state land. lol always worried it might get towed but it was always there in the morning. There is a few places offering parking for 10 bucks a night. but we were poor workers so we risked it lol

If you rent with Thrifty join the Blue chip Program - it is free - you are treated like royalty and they have all the paperwork done beforehand. We were usually in our cars within 10 minutes. Rented with Thrifty on Kauai, Maui and Oahu. Would highly recommend them.

Very limited parking near the piers, so if you're out late you have to be prepared to walk quite a bit over quiet streets. I paid $10 to park at Budget, and had to get there by 9pm when they have the last shuttle to the pier, after which you will have to take the shuttle to the airport where you can take a taxi to the pier. Not a big deal but it's time wasted. Agree with previous post about Blue Chip program..... it's been mentioned on these boards numerous times, yet when I rented there in Kauai, there wer 6-7 people at the regular line but only 2 at the Blue Chip line, guess few cruisers read these boards. Same with Budget's Fastbreak program.

So how do you rent the cars in advance? Did you call their reservation number or go online? When I go online, I don't see a site that is listed as being near the pier for each location. I see airport sites but that's about it.

Cobra1365: For most ports, airport sites are about it. On Oahu, there are a few locations in Honolulu/Waikiki, but none really close to the pier. On Maui and Kauai and at Hilo, you'll use the airport locations. At Kona, you should check Dollar at the King Kam Hotel, which is right across the street from the tender pier.

For the most part, the rental car companies only provide shuttles to the airport locations.

beachchick

Archived