Greenock - Transfers, Accomodation, Sightseeing

Can anybody suggest a way I might be able to get to Dumfries House from Greenock and how far it is? 

Done all the other sites in the past, but the renovated house and Thomas Carlyle furniture have been on my bucket list for years.  

It is not listed in any tours and wonder if taking a taxi there and back would be prohibitive?

17 minutes ago, mcca2 said:

Can anybody suggest a way I might be able to get to Dumfries House from Greenock and how far it is? 

Done all the other sites in the past, but the renovated house and Thomas Carlyle furniture have been on my bucket list for years.  

It is not listed in any tours and wonder if taking a taxi there and back would be prohibitive?

I'm in Edinburgh where taxis will typically be more expensive than Greenock, and asked a few drivers last year what they would charge per hour.  The range was £30-40/hour for a round trip.  It'll take just over an hour each way,  so you'll need to balance the likely waiting time cost against asking another taxi local to Dumfries House for a  return price.  An alternative might be booking a Cumnock taxi to pick you up from Greenock and returning you at the end of your visit.  If you're at Dumfries House for an extended time, they can then keep busy instead of sitting doing nothing waiting for you.

47 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

I'm in Edinburgh where taxis will typically be more expensive than Greenock, and asked a few drivers last year what they would charge per hour.  The range was £30-40/hour for a round trip.  It'll take just over an hour each way,  so you'll need to balance the likely waiting time cost against asking another taxi local to Dumfries House for a  return price.  An alternative might be booking a Cumnock taxi to pick you up from Greenock and returning you at the end of your visit.  If you're at Dumfries House for an extended time, they can then keep busy instead of sitting doing nothing waiting for you.

Thank you so much for your input. It might be the best to contact a Cumnock Taxi, I hadn't thought about that. I did find that it was only 43 miles away so perhaps I could hire them for the day.

• Like 1