Alaska itinerary changes for August sailing

darnoc23

Hi,

Anyone cruising to Alaska next month get any notification of itinerary changes?  I just saw in the news as well as some articles that the Skagway port is being cancelled and alternatives are still being decided.  I cruise in 2 weeks and have not received any notifications.  

It seems that no one is getting notified until they are onboard, but maybe now that the situation seems as if it will go on for the foreseeable future, maybe they'll begin changing future routes earlier. We were on Discovery three weeks after the initial slide. I wasn't sure we'd go to Skagway. They didn't go the first week, but did the week before ours so I thought there was a chance. Fortunately, we were able to make it to Skagway too. I was able to track that by going to the Princess Bridge Cams and looking at where Discovery was going on Wednesday night or where it was on Thursday morning (our day for Skagway). I just looked now and it's on it's way to Sitka instead of Skagway.

So, incase they don't tell you before you sail and you want to see what may happen to your cruise, check your ship's bridge cam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chasing Summer said:

It seems that no one is getting notified until they are onboard, but maybe now that the situation seems as if it will go on for the foreseeable future, maybe they'll begin changing future routes earlier. We were on Discovery three weeks after the initial slide. I wasn't sure we'd go to Skagway. They didn't go the first week, but did the week before ours so I thought there was a chance. Fortunately, we were able to make it to Skagway too. I was able to track that by going to the Princess Bridge Cams and looking at where Discovery was going on Wednesday night or where it was on Thursday morning (our day for Skagway). I just looked now and it's on it's way to Sitka instead of Skagway.

So, incase they don't tell you before you sail and you want to see what may happen to your cruise, check your ship's bridge cam.

You can actually track the ship with ship tracker a lot better.  
I talked to princess tonight as I’m on discovery in 3 days. And was told they are working with the port owners to arrange docking at another pier in Skagway.    
said we should know something by Saturday.     
not holding my breath.  But  I’m ok either way.  Sitkas a cool port I’ve heard.    
been to Skagway so.  A new ports ok for me.   
mother might not be ok. As it’s their first time there and it’s a nice port.   
guess we’ll see in a few days.   

• Like 1

That would be awesome if they could get something going for Skagway. It would be sad to suddenly cut off all of the tour guides and shops there. Enjoy the Discovery. It's a beautiful ship. There wasn't anything I didn't like, except the placement of the toilet paper holder. I know, silly and inconsequential. When you see it, you'll likely remember this and laugh. Poor kids don't have a prayer of reaching it. If you like production shows, try to make the two they have. Out of 39 cruises, this was the most talented cast I've ever seen. 

• Like 1