New Zealand

nzlife

4 hours ago, nzlife said:

Taday the New Zealand borders finally opened to everyone who a

wants to come here . You will still need a negative test though .

And yet, your leaders (with approval by the subjects)  could close the borders back up very quickly with any new health concern twist (monkeypox, anyone?), which would make it a long and expensive and tedious hard-to-get and uncomfortable trip home for some of us. I was on a ship mid-cruise in Australia when the Covid lockdowns hit -- our five-figure round trip airfare, paid in order to justify having a several week trip, was unreimbursable even though we only had 8 days there, because technically we had "enjoyed" the flights, even though we would never have taken them for such a short cruise.

Risk/benefit calculations on how-to-get-home-if-there-is-a-new-lockdown, wasted business class travel costs, and tolerance for severe lockdowns by destination governments (to try and achieve "zero Covid")  factor into decision making for us, now that it looks like an eternal-Covid-variant environment (and new viruses on the horizon).  

You have a hauntingly beautiful, stunning  country there , and with friendly people  (I was fortunate to see it on a full cruise a few years ago on Silversea, and you had, until recently, been on my list for a return, but it's going to take a while to regain my confidence.

I am glad you (and Australians) can now move about more, and you locals will probably be packing the cruises in that area.  Enjoy while it lasts!

We are holding our breath that our New Zealand and Australia  Feb/March cruise goes according to plan. Due to changes in itinerary we had to kill 4 days at the end in Australia. Thankfully have a great option staying at the One and Only Australia Wolgan Valley prior to a new flight to Bali. The Seabourn  refund for 4 less days and our trouble  almost covers our changes. We have stays in Bali and Singapore planned so any cancelations will be a hassle. We have had 5 cruises canceled and will stop trying to cruise awhile if this does not pan out.

On yes, Monkey Pox. May play into the cruise. I am in the Medical Reserves and just asked to help with vaccinations in my area. A month ago barely in the news…

• Thanks 1