Does anyone use AIR TAGS? Do they work well on the Ships?

34 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Note that I said these "crowd" phones report the phones location and only when the phones have Internet access.  If the tag never get close enough to a phone to be tracked, or the phone that tracks it does not have Internet access, then you'll not know where it is.  

AirTags have an advantage because there are over one billion devices on the Find My network Most iPhones are going to have interent access because otherwise they would be of little use. Most stay connected to the internet.It is only on cruise that some people disconnect either because they don't want to pay for internet or they want to be not reachable. Bluetooth has a range of 15 -30 feet so the tracking works pretty good with over a billion devices on the network. The last few iPhones have an additional feature. An additional chip that allows precision tracking. So I know that my keys which are on a keyring with an AirTag, if I misplace them at home gives the exact distance within that range and with AR points to the keys exact location.

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

AirTags have an advantage because there are over one billion devices on the Find My network Most iPhones are going to have interent access because otherwise they would be of little use. Most say connected to the internet.It is only on cruise that some people disconnect. Bluetooth has a range of 15 -30 feet so the tracking works pretty good with over a billion devices on the network. The last few iPhones have an additional feature. An additional chip that allows precision tracking. So I know that my keys which are on a keyring with an AirTag, if I misplace them at home gives the exact distance within that range and with AR poinst to the keys.

Although I am not an Apple fan, I agree that the proliferation of their iPhones makes the AirTags the probable best option.  One thing to note is that the Bluetooth protocol used by AIrTags has range than can exceed 100ft.  Since it's just a one-way transmission with no security and a very short message, it can travel much further than, say, your AirPods.  

Okay, I think I've go it now.  As I understand it, MY phone/device doesn't have to be within Bluetooth range as other phones of the same OS will pick the tag up, except for AirTag which works with iPhone and Droid.  Correct?

Thanks, everyone!

Just now, Ret MP said:

Okay, I think I've go it now.  As I understand it, MY phone/device doesn't have to be within Bluetooth range as other phones of the same OS will pick the tag up, except for AirTag which works with iPhone and Droid.  Correct?

Thanks, everyone!

No - Apple's AirTags only work with Apple devices and Samsung's tags only work with their devices.  Tile is the only one that works with both Apple and Android phones, but also requires the app be installed on any phone near the tag in order to report its location.  

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

No - Apple's AirTags only work with Apple devices and Samsung's tags only work with their devices.  Tile is the only one that works with both Apple and Android phones, but also requires the app be installed on any phone near the tag in order to report its location.  

😁😄 😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄  😁😄 

I'm old.  I really got it now:

SpaceX can communicate with the AirTag and the droid is compatible with the a Black and Decker Jigsaw.  Got it.  But, the Fluxcapacitor must be in-line with the Stemenie. 

• Haha 2