Galveston -Car or no car?

KansasinJune

We are flying in 3 nights early for cruise out of Galveston.   First night is going to he near Hobby.  Next two nights on Galveston beach.   Rental car prices are dropping so it's going to be within $100 to have rental for 8 days vs rideshare to and from Galveston and within Galveston itself.  Also rental will be parked for 6 days while on cruise so curious of the security of car parked at hotel vs cruise park.    AlsoScreenshot_20220804-132320_Lyft.thumb.jpg.420318fe671d50deeeb748d7d875c8df.jpg looking at rideshare app it has one way car rentals (sixt) that might work but don't want to go to far into app to view details and inadvertently get charged for a mock booking.   We have a late flight after cruise so not urget to get back unless returning the weekly rental. Thanks for any feedback

A car will be necessary in Galveston if you want to do much more than walk the Strand in Galveston.  With the late return flight, you can also visit NASA or see the museums in Houston.  May not be your least costly option but definitely gives you the most options.

I've never had my car broken into in Galveston so hard to compare, but I would imagine your hotel would be closer to the sea wall.  Clearly the better parking would be the cruise parking.  And probably the more secure as well--thieves would have to be more determined to go out that way.  Whereas you will always be sharing the beach with a few bozos.