Lifestyle on Constellation

cruisetwin

We are looking at taking an Ultimate 11 day cruise on the Constellation April 2007 that goes to the Panama Canal. There will be 4 of us in our mid 40's. What is the evening life like, does it keeping going for awhile? Places to dance etc?

Also, we are torn between spending money on balcony or inside rooms and I know there has been much discussion. Any rooms to stay away from?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Our last cruise was 22 years ago before we had our children. It's taken us this long to work one in again and want to make sure we make the right choice.

We just got back from our first Celebrity cruise (previous cruises with NCL, Princess, RCI and Carnival). We were blown away by Celebrity. We've booked the same 11 night Panama cruise for next February 19 that you are looking at. If you can swing it, go with the Concierge Class balcony cabin. It is absolutely wonderful. Champagne waiting in your room when you arrive, fresh flowers, fruit bowl delivered daily, capapes delivered to your cabin every afternoon, special linens, a pillow menu, very extensive breakfast room service menu, among other things. The room is larger than a standard balcony cabin.

Once you have had a verandah you will never go for an inside room again.We lived on our verandah, it was so nice to be sipping coffee in the morning while we came into port in our very own space. Likewise when leaving port your canapes would arrive and you can relax and watch the island slip away into the distance. It was great to just sit out there and watch the sea go by. I would save money any other way but a verandah is a must for me :)

Let me say, I have never sailed a balcony stateroom, aft or otherwise.

On my first cruise in 1986 my family got an outside room and found the window to be useless for anything other than light. From then on, it was insides for us.

This past January I sailed with my new husband, and I arranged an inside room like always. It really changed my perspective.

With my family, I never wanted private alone time in my room. The cabine was nothing more than a bed and a shower, and other than that, I wanted to be deskside with people.

With my husband, I would have loved the opportunity to relax in our room, enjoy the ocean breezes in private, and wake with the sun, not the alarm clock.

So, I think that if you are a private person who likes their alone time, or at least not amongst strangers, go with a balcony.

If you are an extremely social person, and want to be in the thick of things most of the time, get an inside.

Hope this helps.

ps-For sailing Europe, get an inside, there is nothing to see on the outside most of the time, and you are hardly ever on the ship during the day anyway.

Hello, in Oct i went thru the Canal west to east, and we had a balcony,

It was wonderful to sit on the balcony getting a great look at the action below. ( it was raining, pouring actually, but we had better protection than being up top.) Balcony is great for relaxing in your pj's in the fresh air 1st thing in the morning..

Have a great time.

CruiseTwin - I think others have give very good advise on the cabin. In regard to your other question. The M-Class ships have a disco bar forward on the Top Deck. It was changed into the Bar at the Edge during the Cirque engagement and am not sure if It was ever redecorated. Disco dancing goes on to the wee hours of morning. I have found that the Caribbean Cruises tend to be more of a late party groups as opposed to The Alaska and Trans-Continental groups who tend to retire early.

With each cruise the energy level will be dependent on the mix aboard that particular cruise. You will find plenty to do from ball room dancing, Karaoke, Sock Hops etc.

Have fun and get other up and goin.

I would book whatever I could afford and just go and have a good time. If it comes down to booking an inside room VS sit home I'd book an inside room. Remember you need a decent budget for shore excursions and tipping and shopping.

We booked that same itinerary for 3/07, and we are also in our mid-40's. On our last Connie cruise was 2 years ago, and there were many, many folks the same age as us, including a fair number that we met on the CC boards. Night life was active and continued very late at the disco. After 1 or 2 am, the crowd was younger, but we managed to hold our own. That was, however, a 7 night affair to the southern carib, and I think it likely that there will likely be a somewhat older crowd on an 11 night cruise to Panama.

Even if it is a much older crowd, though, you will be going w/ another couple, and you will certainly not be alone in your age group. And if you were, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, my wife and I have frequently reminded ourselves that the best dining room table group that we had was on that last Connie cruse - 1 couple in their 60's, 1 couple in their 50's, us (40's), and a couple in their 30's. We all came from very different backgrounds, but it was a great time (they were all genuinely upset when we went to Oceanliners by ourselves one night).

As for the room selection, we got one of the aft CC cabins, and we are very much looking forward to it. If you can afford it and find it, grab it! You've waited 22 years, so if splurging is an option, then splurge!

Archived