OBC when using a TA for Viking cruises

Grettiegoo

7 hours ago, MikeyB said:

You, know....I'm just a sucker for this.  It's like a car accident on the Long Island Expressway.  You don't want to look and slow down traffic, but you have to.

First, my TA's salary is comprised of a base pay and commission.  My point in telling you the number of post Covid cruises I have taken is that I make my TA happy.  I had 8 cancelled covid cruises.

Although I use a major on-line cruise company,  I always deal with the same agent.  I value loyality!  (I expect the same from Viking).

Back to you-

Your arguments are without merit.

How can you suggest not using a competent individual as a TA because their company rebates part of their commission?

I really don't understand you.  But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Well said. Loyalty pays off for merchants, whether they're travel agents, car dealers, or realtors (our realtor gave us a 2% discount when we sold our last house).

On 8/9/2022 at 11:45 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome Back” cruise around Iceland, the TA’s shipboard credit appeared on MVJ and we were able to use it for excursions and such. Not sure whether this was another anomaly of the starting back to cruising (there were several) or if this is a change we will see moving forward.  

This was our experience also.  And I now ask that it be posted to our Viking account in time to use it to book shore ex.  

1 hour ago, longterm said:

I respectfully disagree. 20-30 hours? I think not. With any of the cruises for which we transferred to a TA, they've spent almost no time after our transferring the cruise to them. I'm sure there *are* those cruisers who beat their TAs to death with phone calls, but I would venture to say that's the exception rather than the rule.

Our experience exactly!  We book with the same large on-line cruise agency, and do 99.9% of the work in booking and researching our cruise, flights, etc. We booked two Viking cruises while onboard our January 2022 cruise, and Viking automatically transferred the cruise to our cruise agency, which was basically assigned to an "available" TA since there is turnover. We contact Viking directly for air or other information (NEVER had Viking refuse to interact with us). Our TA, if we're lucky, forwards Viking updates to us.  I feel *0* guilt taking the OBC offered by the agency.  @DrKoob, your comments are completely out of line with our experiences. 

• Like 1

Speaking of OBC's from TA's, has anyone else encountered this new procedure that seems to be occurring with Viking?

The last 2 cruises, we booked some excursions ahead of time at 67 days out and paid for them.  Roughly a month out, our TA sent the OBC's to Viking.  Instead of keeping the OBC's in our "account" for us to choose what to spend them on, Viking immediately sent us cash back for the excursions purchased, deducting that from the OBC's.  So we have no choice.  I called and asked Viking and they told me that is a new procedure - when anything has been purchased ahead of the cruise by the passenger, OBC's will be immediately applied to those purchases (excursions, Silver Spirits packages, etc) and the passenger refunded.

I had never seen this before but they insisted this is the new policy.  Anyone else encounter this?  It sounds suspicious.  When I expressed my concern to Viking, they said, it doesn't really matter as it all comes out in the wash, so to speak.

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

had never seen this before but they insisted this is the new policy.  Anyone else encounter this?  It sounds suspicious.  When I expressed my concern to Viking, they said, it doesn't really matter as it all comes out in the wash, so to speak

Yes!  This happened to us last year before our Panama cruise.  Stupidest thing I ever heard of.  I now have my TA get the OBC applied the day before our shore ex open for booking at day 67.  It took s weeks for “ it all to come out in the wash”. 

17 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Speaking of OBC's from TA's, has anyone else encountered this new procedure that seems to be occurring with Viking?

The last 2 cruises, we booked some excursions ahead of time at 67 days out and paid for them.  Roughly a month out, our TA sent the OBC's to Viking.  Instead of keeping the OBC's in our "account" for us to choose what to spend them on, Viking immediately sent us cash back for the excursions purchased, deducting that from the OBC's.  So we have no choice.  I called and asked Viking and they told me that is a new procedure - when anything has been purchased ahead of the cruise by the passenger, OBC's will be immediately applied to those purchases (excursions, Silver Spirits packages, etc) and the passenger refunded.

I had never seen this before but they insisted this is the new policy.  Anyone else encounter this?  It sounds suspicious.  When I expressed my concern to Viking, they said, it doesn't really matter as it all comes out in the wash, so to speak.

I have never had the TA transfer the OBC prior to cruising but I WOULD want that.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't want them applied to your excursions?  Many times excursions sell out which is why I wouldn't want to wait to purchase.... Am I missing something?

Thanks