Tips for what to do in Key West?

chrismch

We've been to the Hemingway museum and Truman White house, had our picture taken by the mile marker and saw the lighthouse, had conch fritters, saw the sponge market (and the one in Tarpon Springs), walked around Mallory Square and Duvall St.

Which is better - the shipwreck treasure museum or the maritime museum?

What about the Mangrove Kayak Eco Tours - are they going to be really buggy (going there in Sept)?

Our ship offers one Catamaran Sail and Snorkel tour. How do the reefs look in Key West these days? Will you still see a large assortment of coral and fishes?

Can I walk through the Casa Marina Resort & Beach House? I love classic older hotels. Is it an easy walk from the port?

• Thanks 1

The Casa Marina is just under 2 miles from Pier B.  About a 40 minute walk.  You can walk through, but the original, historic section of the hotel is not that large.  The lobby, a small bar and a ballroom are in the original section.  Most rooms are in an ugly, 1970s addition.  The grounds are pretty, but I’m not sure I would consider it a destination. 

The reef here is in very poor shape, especially the area off Key West where the tours go.  Assuming good visibility and low winds, you will see lots of fish, but most of the coral is dead or in poor shape.  There are other areas of the reef away from a key West in decent condition if you ever return.

i think the Mel Fisher Maritime museum is more interesting than the shipwreck museum.  It focuses on the Atocha discovery and displays many artifacts. The shipwreck museum is an overview of the wrecking industry in Key West and has actors in period costumes.  I think it’s a bit cheesy, but might be fun if you have kids.  Another good spot is the Audubon House and gallery.  The house is a historic shipbuilders home with a lovely garden full of specimen trees, and the gallery has a great collection of Audubon prints in all prices ranging from first editions to reprints.  They make great gifts.

Kayak tours can be buggy and hot in September, but we do a good job with mosquito control, so with bug spray, it’s tolerable.  Another option is to walk to the Historic Harbor where a boardwalk is lined with restaurants and bars.  Not much there is open before 11, but the harbor is full of excursion boats, some historic ships and several yachts.  

i hope this helped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3