Anchorage to Talkeetna scenic drive? How long?

tempoct

Hi,

How long does it take for the scenic drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna? Street & Trip is telling about 2-3 hrs drive stright but I believe that we might need lots of stops for photograph :).

I'm thinking of leaving Anchorage around 8a, scenic drive to Matanuska Glacier and hike with MICA for 2 hrs, then scenic drive (which quick lunch on the way) to Talkeetna and trying to reach there around 6p. Not sure if it is possible or too tight for a day.

At Talkeetna, we probably go Summit flight later on the same day or early morning.

Also, is there any grocery/super market in Talkeetna? or any other place along the way to Denali? or I must stock up from Anchorage?

Suggestion is welcome.

It has been about 6 years since I drove up that way. I never slowed down to see the sights though. There has been some road construction up there the last few years. I'd probably say maybe 3-5 stops. You'll go through Willow and Houston and then about 30-40 miles until the Talkeetna Turnoff and then about another 15 miles to Talkeetna.

Matanuska Glacier is 2 hours from Anchorage, but I strongly suggest you consider the 4 hour hike, you just don't get anywhere on the 2 hour one. Going longer will take you to the lake and the big water falls and crevases.

It will be about 2-3 hours from there to Talkeetna. Your last grocery stop is Wasilla with everything there, Walmart, Fred Meyer, Safeway. Definately stock up there, or in Anchorage before you leave. Talkeetna has convenience stores with a limited selection in a pinch.

No way to judge how much time you will need, but with your early start, you could be in Talkeetna that evening, but I wouldn't schedule a flightseeing that day.

The drive from Anc. to Matanuska is really beautiful. Be sure to take a lot of pictures because the drive from Wasilla to Talkeetna is mostly tree lined and you don't see anything. We were very disapointed at driving miles on a very streight road and seeing nothing but trees! It wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't expecting to see alot of beautiful seanery.

Archived