ATHENS Embarkation - Covid Testing Requirements

geordie_jim

We are doing the Voyage of Marco Polo in late October , I think we require a covid test to be allowed to board the ship, is this true? Also it appears that the Greek authorities indicate this is a EU requirement, but I am pretty sure if I got on the ship in Spain I would not require a test.

Jim

Hello geordi_jim!

We embarked in Athens on June 25th and we needed a COVID test to board the ship. It seemed like it could have been taken it before leaving home or they were providing free ones on the spot when we got to the port. We were asked if we had been tested within the last 24 or 72 hours and we said no. So we were sent to the testing area a few yards away from the outdoor check in area.  Although it was unexpected (because I didn't do my homework.. my bad) it was very easy and took only 10 or 15 minutes.

I'm sure things change daily so hopefully somebody who has boarded in Greece closer to your cruise will chime in as that might be more accurate for a sailing in October.  Good luck! Have fun!

On V website -- My Trip -- My Viking Journey (MVJ),  create your account (if not already completed).

Find:  Before you Go -- Pre-Travel Requirements -- will open in a new window if on desktop, or will download doc on mobile.

It is a multi-page doc -- listing all country specific entry requirements.

It was 1st created 10 JUNE 2022,  and is updated very, very frequently, so check back often.  Upper right hand corner shows date of last update.

Edited by FetaCheese
clarity
  • Like 1

We embark in Athens in mid-Feb.  this is from MVJ, (last updated August 12). We will be on Viking’s pre-excursion, so they will do the test for us, it appears.  Greece requires:

PCR test taken within 72 hours before embarkation, or
- Antigen test taken within 48 hours before embarkation.
- Note: If you are on a pre-extension, you will be provided with the necessary tests to meet Greece’s testing requirement before you boardthe ship

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...