Coffee on Princess Ships?

CruiseTobey

Long time RCL cruiser, first time Princess (Crown Princess, 4/14/07).

I've heard reports that the coffee on Princess Cruises is just plain bad. Does anyone agree? Do you think Princess has any intention of addressing this problem?

I'm not a coffee connoisseur but do enjoy a decent cup or two in the morning. Any thoughts?

CruiseTobey

hmm...the buffet coffee was pretty bad..they use a syrup substance to make it....The coffee in the dining rooms was pretty good, and they have a coffee bar that you can pay for coffee drinks...relax...It is vacation and the rest of the cruise and food and drink are great:D

I've heard reports that the coffee on Princess Cruises is just plain bad. Does anyone agree? Do you think Princess has any intention of addressing this problem?

I'm not a coffee connoisseur but do enjoy a decent cup or two in the morning. Any thoughts?

CruiseTobey

It's not great, but it's not as bad as some seem to think either. We just sailed on Celebrity's Zenith....Now there's baaaad coffee. I am a coffee lover -- order my coffee from Costa Rica and won't drink supermarket brands, but I didn't mind Princess coffee all that much. Good coffee at the coffee bar, and room service coffee isn't too bad.

I have seen several posts here where people said they did not like Princess coffee. But like most things, I think it is a matter of taste. I liked Princess coffee. But if you are a big fan Starbucks, you won't like Princess coffee. Princess coffee is more like the kind of coffee you get in an old fashioned diner, like Denny's or Howard Johnsons.

I drink coffee everyday and it wasn't great, but I didn't think it was the worst. I would add a little hot water to the buffet coffee to mellow it out a bit, since I don't use cream and sugar. The coffee in the dining rooms and room service seemed to be just fine.

I have seen several posts here where people said they did not like Princess coffee. But like most things, I think it is a matter of taste. I liked Princess coffee. But if you are a big fan Starbucks, you won't like Princess coffee. Princess coffee is more like the kind of coffee you get in an old fashioned diner, like Denny's or Howard Johnsons.

Great Assessment, I totally agree. I enjoyed the coffee on Princess.

Princess coffee does the trick for me. I order from room service or go up to the buffet in the morning.

Of course, I'll drink used grounds mixed in warm water if I'm desperate enough, so use that when considering my opinion. Starbux sux.:D

Sorry but the coffee for me is terrible. Made with a syrup and to me tastes like a cheap bad cup of coffee.

You can find threads about bad Princess coffee going back years. This is not a new topic on the Princess boards.

CruiseTobey

The coffee is bad, unless you get fresh brewed from one of the bar venues - at least one in the atrium is usually set up with regular and decaf in the mornings, and most of the bars have coffee brewed for Irish coffees, etc. during the evenings. Dining rooms USED to have free lattes, cappucinos and expressos but last cruise (fall 2005) were charging for these. Some of the waiters apparently object to this practice as some didn't charge us, others did, and it showed on the menu, as best I can recall, as a charge item. Dining room coffee is marginally better than Horizon Court, but IMHO, Horizon Court is virtually undrinkable. This time I'm bringing my own.

Agree with BILLP1 and Donah, we couldn't drink it. The coffee that WE had consistently tasted like bad instant coffee. But, who knows how much the taste of it might actually vary? And it's a very subjective thing. You might think that it tastes okay; if you do, then you'll wonder what all of the complaining is about. If you don't like it, then like us, you'll wonder why people think that it's fine.

I doubt that Princess will change the way that they make the coffee because the "syrup" method is very convenient for them to use with little waste in the form of grounds and filters that must be handled, cleaned up and disposed of. And besides, it drives people to the coffee bars for the better ($) coffee.

Hi all - need to put in my "2 cents". We sailed on the Star Princess a few years ago and we didn't forget how horrid the coffee was! :) I know, that might be a bit over the top but DH and I decided to buy a travel coffee maker (awesome & light!) and brew our very own...hope this helps! M

We bought a small coffee maker for our cruise in September. I will not cruise Princess without it; even if I have to leave a couple pair of shoes at home. I tried what they serve as coffee and found it undrinkable. My biggest gripe was that it was never hot. The best part of our mornings was waking up to fresh-brewed coffee and taking it out on the balcony with a pastry from room service. :)

Princess' coffee is made from a syrup and tastes like instant. Starbucks is brewed regularly and is ok if you like spending $3-5 for a cup. I don't think it is worth it. Recently on Oz/Nz cruise we had long black-double espresso on land and it was to strong for me. We took our 4 cup pot with good ground coffee from home and made fresh coffee to go with room service bfst and occasionally made a pot at night. Coffee makers in each cabin could help.

I see the real problem is that with all the complaints Princess doesn't give a damn about the passengers but only ways to save a buck!

Cruise Toby,

The coffee in the dining room is excellent. The coffee in the big metal box on the buffet line must be the reheated stuff from the day before. LOL Go to the coffee bar or dining room for the best.

Connie

We were on the Caribbean Princess (CB) this past September on the Labor Day cruise. The coffee at the buffet is undrinkable. We found the tea up there pretty bad too. We actually purchased a coffee pot to take with us because we had heard how bad it was, which we used a lot (we are huge coffee drinkers). However, the room service coffee is good as is the dining room coffee. We had a hard time finding a place to eat at the buffet the first 2 mornings and after that, we ordered room service every morning. Our order was always delivered at the time specified and our order was correct every morning. Don't forget to tip the delivery person with some cash. I think the rule of thumb is something like $1.00 per plate or coffee pot. We typically tipped $5.00 every morning.

Bad coffee is better than no coffee!

I agree! I swear I'd suck down that syrup they use if I was desperate enough. It would be just like going to $tarbux! Just without the 'tude from the barristaweenie who gets upset because all you want is coffee - plain ol' coffee.

Everyone is different. My midwest relatives like warm brown water for coffee. I like it strong and black. On the Dawn last October I would rate the bulk coffee at just above drinkable. It was warm, not midwest weak, had a hint of flavor and was plentiful. I did not notice a big difference in the dining room coffee.

After the cruise last fall the first thing we did was stop to get a good cup of coffee on the way home.

Overall the coffe is a bit above minimal and if you really have to have coffee its acceptable.

Archived