Katakolon Cruise port to Karouta Beach

rustygiant

Looking to hire a taxi to take us to Karouta Beach from Katakolon cruise port and return trip.  From all i can see, all taxis appear to only offer a round trip to/from beach within a 4 hour window.   Is it possible to hire a taxi to/from beach with more than a total 4 hour trip?  We're looking to hang out at the beach for 4-6 hours.

There are a limited number of taxis in Katakolon and you will need some luck to convince one to take you to Karouta.  And then you will face a much bigger problem of who to get back to the port.  Even if your taxi promises to come back at a certain time, the road to missing a cruise ship is paved with broken promises.  So what to do?  We would suggest simply renting a car.  There are several rental car agencies within walking distance of the ship (some are local companies) but we have not checked for prices since COVID.  But we have previously (3 times) rented cars near the port for $50-$75 a day and driven much of the nearby region (including to Olympia).  Driving is pretty easy (especially when you have a working Smartphone which can give you GPS directions).

I should mention that we have explored that coastline (including Karouta Beach) but have always been there in the Spring when it was not ideal swimming weather.  We have stopped at the beach for lunch (at a nearby restaurant that overlooked the sea).  Here is a link to one of the local agencies we used in the past  :Dias Travel Agency – Car Rental – Rent a car at Katakolo (rentacarkatakolo.gr) and you can find some others (such as Diamond).  There are also some major franchise outfits (like Avis) but they generally cost a lot more money,

Hank

Thanks Hank.  I filled out reservation form on Dias website.  Did you have have a problem with them having a car for you when you arrived?  The car rental agency is within short walk from cruise ship dock, correct?  and is it easy to final gas stations to fill up at end of trip?

thanks,

13 hours ago, rustygiant said:

Thanks Hank.  I filled out reservation form on Dias website.  Did you have have a problem with them having a car for you when you arrived?  The car rental agency is within short walk from cruise ship dock, correct?  and is it easy to final gas stations to fill up at end of trip?

thanks,

Its a few years since we rented from Dias, but....

- we reserved without commitment or giving a credit card number. We arrived as planned, no worries - but of course if you arrive late they'll not be honour-bound to save the vehicle for you.

- clean modern car - collect with full talk, re-fill before returning.

- there's a gas station on the main road a couple of miles outside Katacolon. On your way out It might be an idea to check its opening hours & any alternatives.

- The rental agency is just a few steps from the port gate.

JB 🙂

Our experience was similar to JB's in that it was an easy walk from the pier and they did have a waiting car.  But please keep in mind that our experience was several years ago (before the COVID mess) so it is anyone's guess as to whether things have changed.   Also keep in mind that just about everything in Katakolon is within easy walking distance of the pier since it is a relatively small town with nearly all the commercial places along a compact area that is within 2 blocks of the water.  

I would also reiterate that we mentioned Dias because we have a history with that particular firm.  There are also other small local rental car offices in Katakolon, but we are not going to suggest places for which we have no history.  Perhaps we will soon see some posts from folks who have recently been to that port and have current experience.  

Hank

We went ahead and reserved a car with Dias.  Cost was only 55Euro (plus fees).  Our plans are to go to Karouta Beach and then over to the olive oil sampling.  When we got a quote from a tour guide, he wanted 200 Euro for the same itinerary.  I think we'll be much happier being able to do whatever we want, whenever we want as opposed to being on a tour guides schedule.  I'll update this thread when we return early october with a review

• Like 1