Playa Chen Rio

Hooley

We'll be in Cozumel on the Celebrity Infinite on August 31.  It looks like there will be 7 ships in port.  That's a lot of people.  We've been to Cozumel a few times, so we're looking for just a beach day.  I'm guessing that the beaches on the East side, farther away from port won't be as busy as those closer.  Is Playa Chen Rio a good choice?  Any info you can share would be appreciated.

35 minutes ago, Hooley said:

We'll be in Cozumel on the Celebrity Infinite on August 31.  It looks like there will be 7 ships in port.  That's a lot of people.  We've been to Cozumel a few times, so we're looking for just a beach day.  I'm guessing that the beaches on the East side, farther away from port won't be as busy as those closer.  Is Playa Chen Rio a good choice?  Any info you can share would be appreciated.

Recent reviews from Chen Rio report that sargassum is still bad on that side. It is likely to be that way at all beach bars on east .side for at least another 3 months so I would check with a local before going out that way.

my choice for a beach club on that side would be Punta Morena unless I was doing my own, or official, bar hop tour where I could move on from bad beaches. If you decide to go that way I strongly advise negotiating for your taxi to stay with you on a cruise ship day and remember you need cash (no electricity and poor cell phone service on east side).

For other quieter locations look at Punta Sur (again need driver to stay) or possibly Palancar ( I don’t know how busy it gets after pandemic)or Nachi Cocom for quieter, west side beaches with easier transport. Hotel day passes are another possibility.