Viking Oberammergau Trips

texasatty

We leave 8-28-22 for our Oberammergau/Munich/Salzburg to Budapest trip. We just learned today that because we deviated on our arrival by coming to Munich early and staying at a different hotel that WE are responsible for getting ourselves to the Oberammergau hotel. 

I’m not too exercised about skipping a bus ride although it’s likely to cost another €200-€250 to get us there. I’m a certainly happy we checked on this today otherwise we would have been left scrambling to arrange transport. Anyway, for anyone in this situation just know that you’ll need to make private arrangements.  

Perhaps contact the hotel you are staying at?  They may have arrangements with a local company and can assist with your transfers.

The situation you are in isn't that unusual.  Most (? all) will provide transfers if you do air with them - and come in at the start of the cruise.  Some will provide transfers if you do your own air and arrive at the start.  If you come in ahead - even if you book air with them - they usually won't do transfers unless you stay at the host hotel. 

If you google "Airport Transfers in Munich" you might find a transfer agency.  We have done that a few times with great results.

Enjoy your trip!!

On 8/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, texasatty said:

We leave 8-28-22 for our Oberammergau/Munich/Salzburg to Budapest trip. We just learned today that because we deviated on our arrival by coming to Munich early and staying at a different hotel that WE are responsible for getting ourselves to the Oberammergau hotel. 

I’m not too exercised about skipping a bus ride although it’s likely to cost another €200-€250 to get us there. I’m a certainly happy we checked on this today otherwise we would have been left scrambling to arrange transport. Anyway, for anyone in this situation just know that you’ll need to make private arrangements.  

If you are boarding in Regensburg on 9/3 we are on the same cruise. We are coming into Munich early as well but staying at the host hotel and arranged that with Viking with no concerns. If you were assigned a hotel by Viking in Munich and chose to move to that hotel on 9/1, I would think Viking would be obligated to include you guys in the trip to Oberammergau. For us, that is the morning of 9/2, followed by lunch in Oberammergau, the Passion Play, dinner at intermission, and transportation to the hotel which is about 20 miles outside Oberammergau

On 8/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, NuclearCruiser said:

If you are boarding in Regensburg on 9/3 we are on the same cruise. We are coming into Munich early as well but staying at the host hotel and arranged that with Viking with no concerns. If you were assigned a hotel by Viking in Munich and chose to move to that hotel on 9/1, I would think Viking would be obligated to include you guys in the trip to Oberammergau. For us, that is the morning of 9/2, followed by lunch in Oberammergau, the Passion Play, dinner at intermission, and transportation to the hotel which is about 20 miles outside Oberammergau

We actually embark the Viking Ingvi on 9/7/22 at Passau. We are spending a few days on our own in Munich then the land based portion of tour begins in Oberammergau/Bad Bayersoien on 9/4/22.

It looks like we are a couple of days behind you all so I assume we are on different boats.  I suppose if we relocated to whatever hotel Viking booked in Munich they might let us board the bus but I’m not worried about that. We’ve booked a car service. I’m pleased my wife looked ahead instead of us scrambling for a ride the night before.