Cruise cancellation. Refund, credit or a swap.

mozfoz

When a cruise line cancels a cruise, in our case Uniworld, would  they offer another cruise on the same date as a no cost exchange. Specifically, if Uniworld were to cancel  our cruise 2 days prior to sail date, would they offer a no cost swap to a different ship and river for the same date. Say the Rhine for the Seine, same cabin level and do they offer travel compensation if applicable.  

I would think there are several factors to consider here:

- cruise company's cancellation policy (should be well documented in your package)

- space availability on alternate sailings (may not have same cabin category, or any cabins!)

- flights and transport (did you buy flights through cruise company? Can you switch flights and is space available?)

My experience with cancellations is limited but did happen once on an ocean cruise we were booked on. The cruise line offered change of dates/itinerary or a Future cruise credit at 125%, or a refund at 100%. We took the refund.

I messaged with someone recently whose Uniworld Eastern Danube (Aug 21 Bucharest to Budapest) was cancelled with 10-days notice.  They indicated they were encouraged to switch to another cruise during the same period (Uniworld lets you know what is available and I presume easier if Uniworld arranged your air or flying into a central location) or to rebook the same cruise at a different time.   I've read the fine print on the contract and it looks like a refund may be at their discretion, but if they cancel our entire cruise that's what we're going to pursue.  I'd rather not have an enticing credit.  They can be rather generous with their credits.

Edited by beesKate

Well, hopefully it does not come to fruition, but right now he Rhine is iffy at best,. There does appears to be a few other cruises with Uniworld with cabin availability  that depart somewhere in France on the same date. Of course thing can change, but I am not sure people are running to book cruises at this time. We would have to whatever departure city on our own since we booked air ourselves. Our cruise was at a really great rate and at this time, we would not be interested in having to add a few thousand dollars. We would be glad to swap even up.