Shopping in Buenos Aires

idtdavid

I have a quick question regarding shopping in Buenos Aires.

Does anyone know if luxury goods such as Hermes, Gucci and Louis Vuitton are significantly less expensive than here in the U.S.?

Any other shopping tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

David

I have a quick question regarding shopping in Buenos Aires.

Does anyone know if luxury goods such as Hermes, Gucci and Louis Vuitton are significantly less expensive than here in the U.S.?

Any other shopping tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

David

I do not believe those items to be significantly cheaper. The best prices were on Argentinian made items. Shopping on Florida Street is fun. The section near Recolleta cemetery had a bunch of designer stores, but we didn't spend much time there for shopping.

jc

I've checked that out, and the designer goods are not much cheaper in BA than they are here in the US.

That said, everything else is!

We bought DH a gorgeous italian lambskin jacket that would go for about $2000. here in the US for $500. and I got a beautiful carpincho jacket (native animal) for $400. BTW, it was our next to last day in BA and they custom made my jacket overnight and the jacket that DH tried on was an XL. He's a medium, so they took the whole thing apart and redid it. also overnight. I don't recall the name of the store, but it was near the REcoleta. Our guide said he could have taken us to a less expensive place, but we fell in love with the styles and it was our last day, so we didn't want to risk shopping around and then perhaps not finding things we loved.

Wine and champagne are also great buys. The Argentine champagne is under license from the french companies so it's legally called "champagne" and not sparkling wine or methode champanois. They had top brands like Moet & Chandon and Perrier for under $20. a bottle. A glass of it in a fine restaurant was under $5.00. If you like red wines, be sure to get some Malbac from the Mendoza region. We bought alot for under $8.00 a bottle and it's great!

Manicures and pedicures are very cheap there. I had my pedi done before the trip, (too bad I didn't know beforehand!) but I went to a nice salon and had a great manicure for $3.00. The manicurist almost fell over in gratitude when I tipped her about $2.00.

Have fun in BA. It's a great city.

Jane

Louis Vuitton and other designer stores are equivalent with the US and there is no savings at LV for the Value Added Tax. Just there 2 weeks ago and their inventory was limited. I did buy a gold metallic leather jack, custom made for under $400.00 at Silvia and Mario's next to the Marriott on Florida. Casa Lopez is another good store a block away but there are no custom orders, but still cheap. Hope this helps

Archived