Balcony Dividers

80sGal

On the Glory and on the Sunrise, is there a way for the steward to open the divider to make one large balcony?  And if so, does the divider fold up next to the window, blocking the view from inside?   

• Like 1

We've done this a few trips and basically one person from each room have to go to guest services together and place a request.  It will usually be taken care of within 24 hours.  But go early, they only have a limited number of the special clamps they use to lock back the partition and after they are gone you are out of luck (unless you sweet talk your steward who *might* know how to jimmy it with a butter knife not-that-I-would-know)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 80sGal said:

On the Glory and on the Sunrise, is there a way for the steward to open the divider to make one large balcony?  And if so, does the divider fold up next to the window, blocking the view from inside?   

Certain balconies yes.  And yes if the divider is opened it will block the windows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most balconies I have seen can be opened by the passenger.  Should you do it... probably not.

The 'key' for the dividers seems to be a 1/4"-3/8" square.  You just need something sturdy enough.  We have used a clothes pin and a car key to open the divider.

I have not seen any dividers that would block the windows.  The moveable part is about half the total divider and folds back to be secured against the other half of the divider.

I have not been on as many ships as some people here so there may be exceptions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iria64 said:

Most balconies I have seen can be opened by the passenger.  Should you do it... probably not.

The 'key' for the dividers seems to be a 1/4"-3/8" square.  You just need something sturdy enough.  We have used a clothes pin and a car key to open the divider.

I have not seen any dividers that would block the windows.  The moveable part is about half the total divider and folds back to be secured against the other half of the divider.

I have not been on as many ships as some people here so there may be exceptions.

some dividers will block the door. So they can open it, but it will swing and may hit you. 

1 hour ago, iria64 said:

You are correct, while you may be able to you - YOU most certainly should NOT be opening these yourself.

Some will open, some will not.  Some will block doors and or windows some will not.

Every ship (and even rooms within the same ship) can all be different.

• Like 1

It’s difficult to explain without pictures, and I haven’t mastered linking pics on an iPad.  However, I’ll give it a try.  If you have two cabins with an inner connecting door, it will be in the wall at the foot of the beds.  Since the door to the balconies are always in that corner, those two door will be adjacent, and opening the divider between those two cabins will block one of the doors.  If you have cabins that are side by side with the heads of the beds ‘against’ each other, the balcony divider will swing over and partially block one of the windows, but not the door.  Someone might come along with the widget that you can use to tell what balconies can be connected.  EM

• Like 2