Doggies in Tahiti

Petoonya

I've posted this before but time to do it again. Please don't spend time reading this if you aren't a dog lover.

Stray starving dogs are everywhere most of us travel to, but they break my heart especially in Tahiti. I brought  a whole carry-on full of dry dog food (yes, really did!) on my 3 week Windstar Tahiti- just returned home last week. Skinny, lame, hungry and thirsty they are. I took a ziploc bag of dog food  to all our ports-Papeete, Moorea, Bora Bora, Raiatea, Fakarava, Taha'a and Huahine. Take a short walk around any port and starving dogs are everywhere. I saw one horrible tourist teasing a dog with meat. I gave the poor dog Costco's finest while the cretin skulked away. There are dogs lounging right at the port of Vaitape in Bora Bora where your tender will land. "My" favorite, and most loving doggie next to my two at home, is there.  We were in Bora Bora 5 days and so got to pet and feed her everyday. Many of those dogs at the dock there are well fed as the tourist board has a food bowl out- but those dogs protect the food from nearby dogs.

Moorea is the worst- so.many.hungry.dogs.

There is the Blue Lady of Moorea who sweetly waits for cruisers at the dock in Cooks Bay. She has a van and she'll take last minute tour-deprived cruisers on an all day tour of Moorea. I hear she's terrific. (Most of you will anchor at Opunohu Bay though....Cooks Bay is Wind Spirit) The Blue Lady has 8 dogs of her own and feeds others. She's a good one to leave dog food with. And if you're wearing blue she'll want your picture!

The security guard who we swiped our cards with to get on and off the ship helped me with my dog feeding mission too in his off hours. Big heart.

Two of the captains of snorkel boats we snorkeled from noticed the dog food in my dry bag. Both took some to feed their favorite neighborhood skinny dogs.

So any dog lovers out there.....bring a little crunchy stuff with you.  It will be most appreciated.🥰