Labor Day, Second Person Free

kayakcove

This is worth a mention here in case someone is not on their email list. Atlas came out with a two for one sale on Antarctica sailings thru March 2023 with four exceptions listed. The sale expires September 6. It does include the new World Traveler, which I was told would go into service this November for the Antarctica season.

It only applies the Veranda and Horizon cabins. Take the posted per person price and add two sets of $550 port fees ($1100). I have booked an 11-night late January sailing on the Navigator. It is certainly a significant savings over other lines currently. Have seen decent flights and from Buenos Aires. Will go in a day early but probably not on way out. Could consider longer time in Buenos Aires, but that would require a second set of clothes.

I just checked current locations for both, and the Navigator is in Norway heading North on schedule and the Traveler is in Spain listed as sea trials.

I had booked an August 2021 sailing on a similar offer but canceled out as it appeared sailings would not be able to go as planned as ports closed their doors, which proved to be the case

9 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

Any thoughts on this line?

Prior to booking I reviewed different cruise providers and a multitude of YouTube videos some focused on a particular cruise line and some generic about the Antarctic experience.  I did find two which were on Atlas World Navigator. I would include the links but they night violate CC rules as they both were or are travel agents.  I would use the following search terms on YouTube – “Atlas Ocean World Navigator Antarctica.” The two on the Atlas ships had experienced bumps but based on Covid issues and transportation to and from the US. Their onboard experience was positive.

I would also use “tips for travelers Antarctica” as a YouTube search.  He does tons of cruise related videos and does not seem to be tied to any cruise lines. Comments on good and bad for Antarctica cruises. Good seems to win. 

What I learned, no matter who you go with be ready to have things change, often more than once in a day. Basically, everyone found the experience to be fantastic.  I heard “life changing” used more than once.  

I am hopeful that the change in the charter flights to Buenos Aires will cut some the complications of last season. You can also search this forum for ‘Antarctica’

Also check the few reviews Atlas Ocean here on Cruise Critic. The vast of majority of concerns deal with start up and Covid complications. Crew and expedition staff got good/excellent marks. I chose the Navigator over the new Traveler hoping that would mean more experienced service staff.

I am excited about the possibilities of this experience. This sale makes it something that works for me. 

Got up this morning to find an email from Viking focused on Antarctica sailings. Their ships have what looks like some nice tech features and I would think would be very well run based on Viking's reputation. However, the trip with the same basic itinerary and no air fare included to/from Buenos Aires and Horizon style cabin (50sq ft smaller) on sale came in for two at $31,119. My price on Atlas $12,599. A difference of $18,520, for a trip focused on the sights, wildlife, and the experience, it is worth any potential risk. I have an annual travel policy in place, but it is not a cancel any reason policy. I am going to review and my travel credit card of choice offers good coverage. 

On 9/2/2022 at 9:10 PM, kayakcove said:

Prior to booking I reviewed different cruise providers and a multitude of YouTube videos some focused on a particular cruise line and some generic about the Antarctic experience.  I did find two which were on Atlas World Navigator. I would include the links but they night violate CC rules as they both were or are travel agents.  I would use the following search terms on YouTube – “Atlas Ocean World Navigator Antarctica.” The two on the Atlas ships had experienced bumps but based on Covid issues and transportation to and from the US. Their onboard experience was positive.

I would also use “tips for travelers Antarctica” as a YouTube search.  He does tons of cruise related videos and does not seem to be tied to any cruise lines. Comments on good and bad for Antarctica cruises. Good seems to win. 

What I learned, no matter who you go with be ready to have things change, often more than once in a day. Basically, everyone found the experience to be fantastic.  I heard “life changing” used more than once.  

I am hopeful that the change in the charter flights to Buenos Aires will cut some the complications of last season. You can also search this forum for ‘Antarctica’

Also check the few reviews Atlas Ocean here on Cruise Critic. The vast of majority of concerns deal with start up and Covid complications. Crew and expedition staff got good/excellent marks. I chose the Navigator over the new Traveler hoping that would mean more experienced service staff.

I am excited about the possibilities of this experience. This sale makes it something that works for me. 

Thanks for the search tips.  We booked on the Traveller (at the time I didn't realize it was their new ship).  There are 7 cruises before ours so hopefully that will give them time to fix any "kinks" they might have on board.

I'm glad the previous reviews had positive experiences on board. 

The sale worked, Atlas reported best booking week ever. doubling occupancy for Antarctic season. 

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/atlas-ocean-voyages-reports-best-booking-week-since-start-of-business-301620626.html

Also announced new VP of Sales, Tanya Springer.  She also was with Oceania as was the new CEO,