Valletta Malta - port 1:30-10 PM

I'm concerned that our afternoon arrival in port may limit what type of touring is available. We want to tour Mdina and other sites.  I got concerned when looking at the websites of the 2 HOHO bus companies and they both end at 3 PM.   

Has anyone been here late afternoon into the evening to say what's open?  Are taxis available and shops open in the evening?   This will be July 2023. 

• 4 weeks later...

We had all day (but not night) and I found it plenty of time to go to both Marsaxlokk fishing town and Mdina on a taxi tour.  Right outside the port on the main street that runs down to the elevator taking you up top for the views there were a few drivers offering taxi tours.  The price was reasonable and so we took a tour.  Basically we told the driver where we wanted to go and for how long.  I think it was for around 3 hours and it was 80 euros, but I forget.  With a half hour visit to Marsaxlokk, the time in Mdina was a little short.  But we did manage to walk around and see some of it.  If you just want to see Mdina, you may want to go there only, or perhaps there and then a short drive around the driveable parts of Valletta.  If you go to Mdina, you may get a wonderful glimpse of the town above in the near distance that's a knockout.  I didn't ask our driver to pull over in time to photograph it, though, and while he tried to take me by there later, it was too difficult to do.  In addition to some taxi drivers on the main street outside the port, there was also a place near where you walked out from the Valletta terminal where, past the jewelry store, there were some booths, presumably offering tours, plus a tourist info booth.  

We loved Malta.

Thanks for your input.  

Since we're with a group of 15 we've decided on a private guide who will provide transportation for us. We'll tour Valetta (including St. John's), followed by Mdina & Rabat and eating at the Fontenlla.

We would love to get to Marsaxlokk but with the time in port (1:30 pm - 10) we had to limit it and Mdina was a priority, as was general history of Valetta.  Even so we won't be back to the ship until almost 9 PM. 

But given how many of us there are, this will be cost effective and make the most of our time. 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:50 PM, LGinPA said:

Thanks for your input.  

Since we're with a group of 15 we've decided on a private guide who will provide transportation for us. We'll tour Valetta (including St. John's), followed by Mdina & Rabat and eating at the Fontenlla.

We would love to get to Marsaxlokk but with the time in port (1:30 pm - 10) we had to limit it and Mdina was a priority, as was general history of Valetta.  Even so we won't be back to the ship until almost 9 PM. 

But given how many of us there are, this will be cost effective and make the most of our time. 

Will you report back how that works out for you? I’m concerned about the horrendous traffic and broken down taxis, based on some travel reviews I’ve seen of Malta. I’m going back and forth between two cruise itineraries. One includes Malta, a place I dream about visiting from a cruise ship. 

2 hours ago, GreenFamily said:

Will you report back how that works out for you? I’m concerned about the horrendous traffic and broken down taxis, based on some travel reviews I’ve seen of Malta. I’m going back and forth between two cruise itineraries. One includes Malta, a place I dream about visiting from a cruise ship. 

If the dream is to get to Malta - take the other cruise and fly to Malta before or after and spend a few days there. Our cruise ends in Rome.. we're then flying to Malta for 4-nights before heading home. It's cheap and easy to get over there. It's only an hour and a quarter flight from Rome. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

If the dream is to get to Malta - take the other cruise and fly to Malta before or after and spend a few days there. Our cruise ends in Rome.. we're then flying to Malta for 4-nights before heading home. It's cheap and easy to get over there. It's only an hour and a quarter flight from Rome. 

That’s an excellent idea!