Santorini capacity

TMaine

On 9/9/2022 at 2:04 AM, marazul said:

The only way to avoid this hassle is to fly to Santorini for a couple of days before or after the cruise and skip any cruise that goes to Santorini. 

Yes but then you need to contend with the airport on departure. But worth it for a beautiful island. 

I don’t think I’d go again on a cruise there as want to enjoy the island. 

• 2 weeks later...

little off topic, our trip down to the cruise ship on the sky tram. we shared car with couple in early 20's, the lady said it was crowded when they arrived in port so they decided it best to walk up. She said and I quote "Easily in the top five worst things I have ever done in my life!" she was so sincere you could tell she really meant it and it pained her to even think about it.

There were five ships in when we visited last month. The wait for the cable car back down the cliff was well over an hour (we walked back down which took about 20 minutes). 

Oia and Fira were both very crowded. Shoulder to shoulder and quite unpleasant at times. The island is beautiful, but I would try to visit when there are less cruise ships in if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there Oct 5. 5 or 6 ships were in port, and captain told us there were 13,000 passengers. The captain AND the cruise director both warned us how crowded it would be. We took a shore excursion that visited a winery, Oia, and Fira. You had the choice of taking the bus back down to tender area, or go on your own with the cable car or walking path. Especially in Oia, it was wall to wall people; so many that leaving a shop or restaurant and getting back into the flow of people was like crossing a busy highway at rush hour. Fira was a bit better because the pathways are wider, but not much. It's a beautiful place, but the crowds made it not so enjoyable. Other passengers told us the wait for a cable car was over an hour. 45 minute walk down the donkey path. We chose to stay with our bus. So, be prepared for more people than you can imagine if there are several ships in port.