Tipping Advice in South America for private tours

SClakeliving

What is considered reasonable tips for tours guides and drivers for tours in ports for my South American Cruise. Do they want US $ as tips? or local currency?

Also tipping insights in general for taxi, restaurants, hotel porters, etc. would be appreciated. I have never been to South America.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 11:47 AM, SClakeliving said:

What is considered reasonable tips for tours guides and drivers for tours in ports for my South American Cruise. Do they want US $ as tips? or local currency?

Also tipping insights in general for taxi, restaurants, hotel porters, etc. would be appreciated. I have never been to South America.

Thank you!

I read that $10-20 USD per day for full day tours is typical tip guidance for tour guides. 10% is typical at  restaurants, but read your bill as some add a gratuity or cubierto (sit down fee). It's recommended to round up taxi fees, but we tended to also add in a USD, which drivers seemed to appreciate. Most of the tips we left were in USD. Be sure you have clean, unfolded USD for purchases that accept USD and/or tips.