STONEHENGE TOUR FROM PORTLAND

victory2020

I waited too long to book tour from Portland to Stonehenge on NCL for later this month. Does anyone know of any company that does tours from there? I can't seem to find any (all from London or Southampton). If I can't find a tour , what are things to do in Portland? All tours are sold out from the ship

You won't find a coach tour to Stonehenge, certainly not one which fits a cruiser's hours.

And I feel you're going to struggle to find a local car or van tour at short notice, but do try those mentioned by Bob.

You could also scroll thro your cruise rollcall to see if anyone is seeking sharers for a tour.

Lots of places within easy day-trip travelling distance of Portland

- west to Abbotsbury Swannery, the Jurassic coast & West Bay / Bridport,

- north to the market town of Dorchester & Maiden "Castle" (not a stone castle, but a much earlier defensive earthworks), the Rude man of Cerne Abbas, and the castles of Sherborne  (Sherborne old castle is very limited remains of a 12thC castle, the other is more a "stately home" than a true castle,)

- or east to Corfe Castle  & Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door. Also east to the huge Bovington Tank Museum and nearby Monkey World / ape sanctuary.

But you'd find it difficult & expensive to fix up a tour on-the-fly, and the nearest car rental agencies are about 5 miles away. Added to that, Portland is a secure port, no taxis at the port, exit and enter the port only on ship's excursion coaches or shuttlebus.

If you can't fix anything up, the ship offers a (payable) shuttle service to the nearby Victorian seaside resort of Weymouth for a lazy day.

Or to the D-Day museum just a few yards from the port gate, or to Portland Castle, a ten-minute walk from the port gate - both are quite small, interesting but not worth a full day.

Some recent threads which include suggestions for Portland

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Portland &quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

Good luck

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 6:25 AM, John Bull said:

You won't find a coach tour to Stonehenge, certainly not one which fits a cruiser's hours.

And I feel you're going to struggle to find a local car or van tour at short notice, but do try those mentioned by Bob.

You could also scroll thro your cruise rollcall to see if anyone is seeking sharers for a tour.

Lots of places within easy day-trip travelling distance of Portland

- west to Abbotsbury Swannery, the Jurassic coast & West Bay / Bridport,

- north to the market town of Dorchester & Maiden "Castle" (not a stone castle, but a much earlier defensive earthworks), the Rude man of Cerne Abbas, and the castles of Sherborne  (Sherborne old castle is very limited remains of a 12thC castle, the other is more a "stately home" than a true castle,)

- or east to Corfe Castle  & Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door. Also east to the huge Bovington Tank Museum and nearby Monkey World / ape sanctuary.

But you'd find it difficult & expensive to fix up a tour on-the-fly, and the nearest car rental agencies are about 5 miles away. Added to that, Portland is a secure port, no taxis at the port, exit and enter the port only on ship's excursion coaches or shuttlebus.

If you can't fix anything up, the ship offers a (payable) shuttle service to the nearby Victorian seaside resort of Weymouth for a lazy day.

Or to the D-Day museum just a few yards from the port gate, or to Portland Castle, a ten-minute walk from the port gate - both are quite small, interesting but not worth a full day.

Some recent threads which include suggestions for Portland

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=Portland &quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

Good luck

JB 🙂

Thank you so much!

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:56 PM, victory2020 said:

I waited too long to book tour from Portland to Stonehenge on NCL for later this month. Does anyone know of any company that does tours from there? I can't seem to find any (all from London or Southampton). If I can't find a tour , what are things to do in Portland? All tours are sold out from the ship

We used Dorset and Beyond for Stonehenge they were excellent, picked up 8 of us up directly from Ship, lots of additional stops. Google them and you will find them. Enjoy