Japan Entry requirements as of Sept 7?

floridatravelersforlife

Japan has relaxed its entry, US Citizens only need to show Covid cards.  But there is no detail on freedom to wander around.  My ta told me that prior, tourists had to book a complete package, no independent  tours.

I am on the Mar 23 Nautica cruise around Japan and I am holding off booking air and hotels until more details evolve.

Any thoughts or details?

Japanese Immigration is very, very slowly relaxing entry requirements for foreigners.

Currently they are allowing a limited number who purchase packages from a limited number of Japanese Travel Agents to have special visas that allow them to visit Japan.

COVID jabs and PCR tests are still required for entry, but that may be relaxed soon.

There is still no discussion on allowing foreign Cruise Ships into Japan again.

If Japan does open up to foreign ships, at least one other East Asian nation must to the same before the ships can come. Like the USA and Canada, Japan has cabotage laws that require a foreign flag ship to visit another country during your cruise.

All the "experts" here in Japan are speculating that Japan will be fully open to foreigners and foreign cruise ships sometime in Spring 2023.

19 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Japanese Immigration is very, very slowly relaxing entry requirements for foreigners.

Currently they are allowing a limited number who purchase packages from a limited number of Japanese Travel Agents to have special visas that allow them to visit Japan.

COVID jabs and PCR tests are still required for entry, but that may be relaxed soon.

There is still no discussion on allowing foreign Cruise Ships into Japan again.

If Japan does open up to foreign ships, at least one other East Asian nation must to the same before the ships can come. Like the USA and Canada, Japan has cabotage laws that require a foreign flag ship to visit another country during your cruise.

All the "experts" here in Japan are speculating that Japan will be fully open to foreigners and foreign cruise ships sometime in Spring 2023.

Thanks, for the info, but the hope of a Spring reopening does me no good.  We have to make final payment by Dec 15 and not having a definitive ruling makes it impossible to book the cruise, air or hotels.  I hope we will hear something more firm by early December or a full cancellation.

The Japan Times reported yesterday that the Government is considering allowing foreigners with a minimum of three COVID inoculations and a negative COVID test to enter Japan.

The decision could be made as soon as next week.

Although good news, this still does not help foreign flag ships trying to enter Japan.

Japanese Cabotage Laws require at least one other East Asian Country to open to Foreign Cruise Ships before it will be legal for them to visit Japan. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, skurvish said:

It is always possible Japan will table that requirement for the short term as the US did with the PVSA so Alaska cruises could bypass Canada. They did that for last years alaska season.

It is also possible that Japan will choose to support Japanese Domestic Cruise Companies by delaying the return of Foreign Flag ships.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:57 PM, floridatravelersforlife said:

Thanks, for the info, but the hope of a Spring reopening does me no good.  We have to make final payment by Dec 15 and not having a definitive ruling makes it impossible to book the cruise, air or hotels.  I hope we will hear something more firm by early December or a full cancellation.

We have an April cruise to Japan and final payment is also due in December. That said, I'm feeling more optimistic given the most recent news. Japan is set to lift most restrictions come October 11. https://www.traveloffpath.com/japan-reopening-for-normal-tourism-october-11/

Edited by DCGuy64
Added link with news

If Japan allows independent travel by individuals, that's great, but if ship arrival agreements are delayed, I'm switching to an air/hotel scenario.  I'm not going to risk making final payment and hope the cruise lines can reach an agreement with  Japan and Korea in my case.  Too much wishful thinking.  There are so many  variables - country politics, Variant  B5,6,7 ???, local constituents opinions.  Around early November, I plan on asking Oceania thru my TA on the status of their commitment to the cruise and if they would be willing to delay final payment provided guarantees were close at hand.  Recommend everyone does the same.  I am sure O would rather complete  the cruise instead of cancelling, since they have to move the ship eastbound.