Yellow fever vaccination required for Namibia?

RosieRuby

49 minutes ago, RosieRuby said:

Thank you BL. Good advice- I have checked our nearest centre online and shocked to be quoted £90pp, with an advisory that YF vaccinations are 'in short supply'. Not exactly sure what the criteria might be for exemption, I am over 65 but my wife is not. Just wish Regent was more transparent about this when we booked not long ago.

I was told that it wasn't recommended for anybody over 60 or people who had certain medical conditions unless travelling to a very high risk area, which none of the countries we are visiting are and most importantly the countries we are visiting or coming from aren't on their list of countries that require it. 

I wonder if anybody else has any further information that they can add to the conversation. 

On 9/11/2022 at 12:43 AM, cwn said:

Looks like the same letter we have received from Regent when we were in Nambia on a WC and in SA on a Grand Voyage. We needed a YF shot. Regent is covering themselves. Foreign port authorities are unpredictable to say the least. If port authorities want the shot they can refuse to let you go ashore if you don’t have proof. They can/May accept the waiver but there is no guarantee. If you don’t get the shot you may not be able to get off the ship that day. If you don’t have the shot, don’t want to get it, can’t get it, at least get a waiver they are easy to get. If you don’t have the paperwork that the officer wants that day you can’t get off. Remember this is Africa not the US or UK.

I would be quite happy to have the shot, but having an underlaying health condition and being over 60 my doctor doesn't recommend it. 

All I'm trying to do is to make the best informed choice I can but it is very hard to source concrete advice when the Yellow Fever Centres (in the UK you have to go to one of these) are saying that it isn't required when you tell them your itinerary. 

I shall keep digging though and if it is a fairly recent change, we have a few weeks for the correct advice to filter through the bureaucratic channels. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody here! We live in Namibia and were quite surprised to see this request in the mail from Regents. YF is not endemic in Namibia. Borders to all our neighbouring countries (including RSA) are open for travellers without YF vaccination in both directions. I came back from RSA a few weeks ago and nobody bothered for the YF vaccination. A YF vaccination will only be required when you are immigrating from a country where YF occurs, e.g. Tanzania or Brazil. I think Namibia was listed by mistake.

5 hours ago, Backbord said:

Hi everybody here! We live in Namibia and were quite surprised to see this request in the mail from Regents. YF is not endemic in Namibia. Borders to all our neighbouring countries (including RSA) are open for travellers without YF vaccination in both directions. I came back from RSA a few weeks ago and nobody bothered for the YF vaccination. A YF vaccination will only be required when you are immigrating from a country where YF occurs, e.g. Tanzania or Brazil. I think Namibia was listed by mistake.

It wasn’t listed by mistake. I’ve seen this question posted on other forum recently. Everyone except the cruise line agrees with your statement that the yellow fever vaccination is not required. Yet, the cruise line requires the vaccination.
I recall some discussion about a pax requesting a medical exemption, but I don’t remember if that person was successful or not. However, to answer your question, Namibia is not listed by mistake. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

When we visited Namibia on a cruise with Regent a few years ago, i believe YF vaccination was required but we both got a medical waiver and there was no problem.  Namibia is a fascinating country and we enjoyed our visit there. 

Agree 100% - a WONDERFUL country! 

20 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

It wasn’t listed by mistake. I’ve seen this question posted on other forum recently. Everyone except the cruise line agrees with your statement that the yellow fever vaccination is not required. Yet, the cruise line requires the vaccination.
I recall some discussion about a pax requesting a medical exemption, but I don’t remember if that person was successful or not. However, to answer your question, Namibia is not listed by mistake. Unfortunately. 

I fully agree. Just for your information two links reflecting the matter: https://www.chaloafrica.com/namibia-health-vaccinations/
https://www.embassyofnamibia.fr/visa-requirements.php

5 hours ago, Backbord said:

I fully agree. Just for your information two links reflecting the matter: https://www.chaloafrica.com/namibia-health-vaccinations/
https://www.embassyofnamibia.fr/visa-requirements.php

This is the information that the UK is obviously working from as they say there is no requirement to have it, so have refused someone the vaccination and a waiver as they aren't coming from any of the listed countries requiring it. 

Regent are stating we have to have the vaccination to leave the ship and waivers may or may not be accepted but we can sail but may need to remain on the ship when at the two stops in Namibia. 

I am going to print all the emails off and take them to our appointment and see what they say. 

There appears to be a fair bit of confusion over it all. 

On 10/16/2022 at 11:56 AM, Boatmans Lady said:

This is the information that the UK is obviously working from as they say there is no requirement to have it, so have refused someone the vaccination and a waiver as they aren't coming from any of the listed countries requiring it. 

Regent are stating we have to have the vaccination to leave the ship and waivers may or may not be accepted but we can sail but may need to remain on the ship when at the two stops in Namibia. 

I am going to print all the emails off and take them to our appointment and see what they say. 

There appears to be a fair bit of confusion over it all. 

My husband and I had the vaccine three weeks ago with no side effects.