Carnival Xunantunich Excursion

centerpoint

Anyone been on this ship's excursion to Xunantunich? If so, how did you like it?
Just last week I did that. And YES I do recommend the trip since in my opinion it is worth the time and money. The site iself has only one structure( El Castillo") that impressed me but ...oh... is it impressive! wow ! It might still be the highest point or even the highest building in Belize. One can climb to the top but be warned it isn't for the faint of heart or those afraid of heights. Once on top the paroramic view includes into Guatemala. By the way, the site was abandoned around 1000 AD.

In order to get to the site one must cross the Mopan river via hand cranked ferry and at the ferry site there are living Mayans who sell authentic souvenirs hand crafted by themselves. ( not made in China like most souvenirs). I puchased 3 slate pictures of Mayan deities and national symbols for about 10$ each. If you go take plenty of 1$, 5$, or 10$ bills becouse if you hand them a 20 you just spent 20. The tour includes what I considered a delightful lunch in a grass hut cafe near the town of San Igncio. Great tour but a long tour. We were one of the first off the ship and one of the last to return. There was no time to shop in Belize City.

Hopefully I've been a help to someone !

Thanks for your comments...the reason I'm taking the Carnival tour is because of the length of the excursion. I won't get left behind, because it's a ship tour! Everywhere else, (G.C., Roatan, Costa Maya) we're going private tours.

I'm looking forward to this tour though.

. I won't get left behind, because it's a ship tour! looking forward to this tour though.

Your more correct than you know. They actually held the ship up for us! Yikes ! If I had taken a local's tour chances are I'd still be in Belize.

A few question if you don't mind.....I am a little afraid of heights, do you think I could climb it? I dont freeze up if my feet are on something solid but if I feel I'm on unsteady ground I might freeze up....how was the climb down? I find that somewhat difficult as well, I do want to get to the top however, if I take the time and effort to go on this tour. Will it be worth the trip if I can't climb it? Was this carnival sponsored? How many people on the tour? Other than the ruins was it all spent on a bus? Thanks for any information.....I hate being in an exotic place and spending half the time in a vehicle. :confused:

A few question if you don't mind.....I am a little afraid of heights, do you think I could climb it? I dont freeze up if my feet are on something solid but if I feel I'm on unsteady ground I might freeze up....how was the climb down? I find that somewhat difficult as well, I do want to get to the top however, if I take the time and effort to go on this tour. Will it be worth the trip if I can't climb it? Was this carnival sponsored? How many people on the tour? Other than the ruins was it all spent on a bus? Thanks for any information.....I hate being in an exotic place and spending half the time in a vehicle. :confused:

Sounds like you should be fine. If someone can walk they should be able to climb this safely as long as they take their time. Going down is fine as long as they are careful. To honest I very much had sea legs that day, so perhaps it wasn't so bad for those who had good equilibrium.

The top for me was worth it, but that's just me. The pictures were great. There were those who enjoyed the site but didn't climb anything, so I would suggest the tour even if one stays on the ground or not. It's still worthwhile regardless.

Carnival sponsored? yes it was. I booked it online at Carnival's website. It can also be booked on the ship. People on the tour? About one coach load, maybe 40 people.

All the time on the bus? No but it's a long trip( about 2 hours each way) so you will be on the bus a lot. You stop twice, once at Xunantunich and then again at a hotel resort of sorts for a pleasent lunch and souvenirs.

Thanks for the advise.....I'll just have to see how I feel once there. I'm such a go get'er with everything else, dive, athletic...I find it frustrating to not be able to control this height thing.....ah me....I think we'll look into this, thanks so much!;)

Thoth, I loved your post. I've been considering this same excursion because we went to Altun Ha two years ago. My DH wants to do it again, but I'd like to see something different. I remember we loved the first time we saw Tulum and then we went back another time and it was nothing exciting.

I don't care for heights so I had no interest in climbing anything, but you're description of taking pictures from the top make me want to do it. I love taking pictures!

I went to the top of a ruin at Altun Ha, but they had more tourist-friendly steps and some railings at the steeper parts. Does El Castillo have ropes or anything to help? I can see me tripping and tumbling to the bottom or if I made it to the top, not being able to get back down!

Was the bus air-conditioned comfortably?

Thoth, I loved your post. I've been considering this same excursion because we went to Altun Ha two years ago. My DH wants to do it again, but I'd like to see something different. I remember we loved the first time we saw Tulum and then we went back another time and it was nothing exciting.

I don't care for heights so I had no interest in climbing anything, but you're description of taking pictures from the top make me want to do it. I love taking pictures!

I went to the top of a ruin at Altun Ha, but they had more tourist-friendly steps and some railings at the steeper parts. Does El Castillo have ropes or anything to help? I can see me tripping and tumbling to the bottom or if I made it to the top, not being able to get back down!

Was the bus air-conditioned comfortably?

No rails that I saw on the El Castillo. What i did was lean in on to the wall and sometimes I put my hands down on the steps using all fours.

Yes the bus had AC and a restroom. I was comfortable.

I've been to Tulum but haven't been to Altun Ha. I found Xunantunich to be much better than Tulum. Everything was roped off in Tulum with the exception of the Cenote house where Xunantunich ruins were accessible.

Uxmal near Merida Mexico are still my favorite Mayan ruins, but even there the great pyramid was roped off that day. Xunantunich was a thrill to actually get to go to the top.

If you do go on this tour please compare Altun Ha and Xunantunich by coming back to this board. I'm sure someone in the future will be thinking " now which tour should I do?" I found myself at that crossroads.

My guide said that Altun Ha is actually better excuvated and is in better museum quality, where Xunantunich is more pictureque.

Good Grief, now what to do....We are scheduled to do Altun Ha and river ride but have heard it isn't that great to see.....so we are thinking of rebooking Xanantunich, is that right, but am afraid that it is a long ride on a bus and wont be worth the trip. What do ya all think? Can anyone compare it to the ruins on Costa Maya? and wait a sec.......did you say you had to crawl on all fours up this thing......yike:eek: , was there firm footing? Im no faint of heart but when it comes to heights I do this freezing thing....very embarrassing, I'd hate for the bf to have to haul me back down.....geezzz when did I get this way....:rolleyes: and I will attempt to crawl to the top, I hate anything to beat me....;)

Thoth, thanks for your response.

But reading your description makes me realistically question whether or not I'd be able to go up and come back down safely. Especially your description of using all fours. I have one larger camera and a smaller one and I wouldn't want them getting banged up, but I'd want them with me to take photos from the top.

So here's another question, even though being at the top was awesome, how much fun and interesting do you think it would be if someone didn't climb it and just viewed everything from the ground?

Thoth, thanks for your response.

But reading your description makes me realistically question whether or not I'd be able to go up and come back down safely. Especially your description of using all fours. I have one larger camera and a smaller one and I wouldn't want them getting banged up, but I'd want them with me to take photos from the top.

So here's another question, even though being at the top was awesome, how much fun and interesting do you think it would be if someone didn't climb it and just viewed everything from the ground?

Nothing to worry about. As long as you be careful you should be just fine. When I said all 4's I meant that we used the steps as a hand-rail, not that I crawled up. There is plenty to see especiallly if you haven't seen a Mayan site before, six plazas and 25 temples in a park about 1 square mile. Nobody has to climb anything unless they wish to. The park is still very much worthwhile on the ground.

Actually I was dizzy BEFORE I got there due to high winds/waves and a cabin in the ship's bow.

Good Grief, now what to do....We are scheduled to do Altun Ha and river ride but have heard it isn't that great to see.....so we are thinking of rebooking Xanantunich, is that right, but am afraid that it is a long ride on a bus and wont be worth the trip. What do ya all think? Can anyone compare it to the ruins on Costa Maya? and wait a sec.......did you say you had to crawl on all fours up this thing......yike:eek: , was there firm footing? Im no faint of heart but when it comes to heights I do this freezing thing....very embarrassing, I'd hate for the bf to have to haul me back down.....geezzz when did I get this way....:rolleyes: and I will attempt to crawl to the top, I hate anything to beat me....;)

I heard good things about Altun Ha. My guide said that it is better excuvated and is more tourist friendly. I read where it comprises 5 square miles. Xunantunich is 80 miles from Belize city, about 2 hours each way. When I said "all fours" I meant we used the steps as a handrail, not that I crawled up or down. Firm footing? yes

Xunantunich is still very good even if you don't climb anything. Many stayed on the ground and enjoyed themselves.

My guess is that Altun Ha and Xunantunich are both very good.

Thanks for the info.....I'm thinking we'll just keep the Altun Ha tour, we'll be going back next year anyway with our kids so we could see something different if it isn't that great.....have you ever been to the ruins in Costa Maya? I'll give you a report on both if we do them both, which we may....I'll also let you know how the "freezing" thing goes....:o

Thanks for the info.....I'm thinking we'll just keep the Altun Ha tour, we'll be going back next year anyway with our kids so we could see something different if it isn't that great.....have you ever been to the ruins in Costa Maya? I'll give you a report on both if we do them both, which we may....I'll also let you know how the "freezing" thing goes....:o

No i've never been to Costa Maya but it sounds exciting. If I understand correctly It's a new port and offers tours that were not available a short time ago. By all means, Please post your remarks on your tours ! Have fun !

Thoth....I think we'll go to Dave and Ivan's ruin tour that way we can compare it to Altun Ha...We'll be going back on this cruise again next year, lugging teen agers along that time so the bf and myself will check things out this time....thanks for your info....I'll post a long review once back...three weeks :p

Archived