A tender subject

Sky Sweet

Not for me usually but I don't mind tendering in to port that much. I look at the ports themselves more extensively than whether you tender in or not. Of course if I could choose the perfect cruise it would go to exactly the places I wanted and have a dock that is close to the action ready and waiting. ;)

Of course if I had other factors to consider (i.e. a handicap, fear of small boats etc...) then tendering might weigh more heavily on my mind.

Tendering seems to at least allow newer, less crowded islands (except Grand Caymen) to be an option. Some of the best islands we have ever visited have been tendered...I just wish they would use proper tenders not lifeboats.

For me, I don't care, but my mom hates dealing with the tender so for her I keep an eye out for how many ports are tendered.

Personally, I find riding in the tender kind of fun!

Celebrity does give first priority to those taking the ship's tours. Next is Concierge Class. This caused a fair amount of angst and dissatisfaction on our South America cruise. Celebrity did accomodate people who had private tours booked and asked for early debarkation in a few of those ports.

But as others have said some ports and itineraries can only be served with tenders.

Tendering seems to at least allow newer, less crowded islands (except Grand Caymen) to be an option. Some of the best islands we have ever visited have been tendered...I just wish they would use proper tenders not lifeboats.

Lifeboats are preferable to many privately owned port tenders. Many are not enclosed, have little freeboard and are in questionable states of repair.

I have no problem with tenders...

I don't like dealing with the lines one sometimes (not always) has to wait in to get back on the ship...But, it's no big deal...I've waited for lines for other things...

And the idea of travelling that short distance on a little boat doesn't bother me...

How many people claim they hate the ride in the tender...and then you ask them what excursion they're taking...and it's a "party boat" or a boat ride or a scuba or snorkel boat...

Hey, it's all part of the experience...

Lifeboats are preferable to many privately owned port tenders. Many are not enclosed, have little freeboard and are in questionable states of repair.

I've only had one experience with local tenders, I think on HAL, and they were covered, well maintained craft...I guess I haven't seen the "bad" side yet.

I just find the lifeboats hot, limited ventilation, badly worn, rattley, stinky (diesel), and they load them to the max...but it beats swimming :D .

Hi Everyone !

As for myself, I typically do not worry if the ship tenders or not. The only way it becomes a concern, is for my Parents who are Seniors. If they are traveling with me, I do pay some attention, to make sure there are not too many tender ports.

We don't mind tendering at all. In fact, it is one of the few parts of the cruise where we can get some 'rocking motion' that we don't get on board due to all the stabilizers. Give me a rough cruise any day!

It definitely influences my decisions. I try for the itineraries/ships that are scheduled to dock. I try to minimize the ports that are tender-only(like Grand Cayman).

For me, tendering = lines and I hate lines. What a waste of vacation time.

If the ship docks, we get an extra hour or more in port.

Archived