Question on guarantee stateroom

I am booked on the Mariner of the Seas for May 14th. Originally (after reading all the posts on this board), I booked room 7388 (aft corner balcony). When I went to make final payment, my TA advised that if I took a balcony guarantee I would save $400 on a VA resident special they were running. So, DH and I took it as we would still have a balcony and could use that money for other things on the ship. Well, the next day, my TA calls me back and tells me that they already assigned my room and we got 6388, which is a one category upgrade! So, on one hand I am happy that I still have my aft corner cabin, however from the pictures that I have seen of the aft cabins on deck 6 am I worried that I will be disappointed with the view and the decking in front of the cabin.

So, after they assign you a room from a guarantee, do they ever upgrade or change you again? Will I be happy with 6388? Any input is appreciated...thanks!

When you rolled the dice you took that $400.00 gamble. I guess the question should be has the view changed $400.00 worth. Probably not. My guess is that you came out ok. Don't forget your fishing pole. Also looking at the deck plans both cabins appear to be E1.

I find I spend so little time in the cabin that it doesn't really matter all that much anyway. I like a balcony to sit on in the morning and have coffee, but other than that, all I need is a bed and a bathroom. (Of course DW needs about 150 sq ft for her shoes!)

I was on Yoyager a few years back in cabin 6688 (the port corner balcony on deck 6). The large decking that extends beyond your balcony isn't all that bad, just a bit boring to look at. It would be nice if RCCL would landscape the thing or put some interesting piece of sculpture out there.

As for the view, it is blocked a bit (not horribly) by the aft superstructure to the rear, and there is a large circular porthole view to the side.

One thing that I recall was that there was a crew door on deck 5 that is right next to your balcony but a deck below it. You could hear it opening and slamming shut during the night as the crew went about their business. I can't say with certainty that there is a similar crew door on the starboard side, but I would assume that to be the case. Overall, it wasn't anything to complain about...just something that was noticeable. I suppose it may be a bigger issue for a lighter sleeper...but for 400.00, I'd take it any day.:D

Happy Sailing!

Brian

Archived