Royal Caribbean offers three options for Tulum Ruins?

Mum2Mercury

I don't usually use ship excursions, but I know this excursion is lengthy and holds potential for transportation problems, so I'm breaking my own rule.  Thing is, Royal Caribbean offers THREE VERSIONS of this excursion:  

- Tulum Mayan Ruins & Beach Time 

- Tulum Mayan Ruins & Playa Del Carmen Experience 

- Tulum Mayan Ruins & Cenote Experience 

These all go to the same ruins, right?  Any suggestions on which one is best? 

I'm leaning towards the beach option -- is the beach near the ruins?  Do you just walk over?  

Only the beach option mentions lunch -- what lunch options exist for the other two excursions?  

What should I know about the transportation?  I am a little nervous about this excursion, even though I really want to do it. 

Any other tips?  

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2022 at 6:10 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm leaning towards the beach option -- is the beach near the ruins?  Do you just walk over? 

There is a great little beach below the ruins and a staircase to reach it.  I don't know if that is the beach on the excursion or not.

Playa_Ruinas_Tulum_Vert.jpg

Only the beach option mentions lunch -- what lunch options exist for the other two excursions?  

Even if the Playa excursion doesn't include lunch, there are many places you can eat for a reasonable price!  Our favorite is Karen's - we've been going there for years.  An added bonus: they have an air-conditioned section! 

What should I know about the transportation?  I am a little nervous about this excursion, even though I really want to do it. 

OK, the elephant in the room: the ferry ride.  It can get choppy on the ride across to Playa and back (which you will take for all three options).  If you're prone to seasickness, plan appropriately.

As far as land transportation: you'll be comfortable and safe.  Please bring a few bucks to tip the driver and tour guide.  If you choose the Playa option, do any souvenir shopping there instead of Cozumel - you'll find better prices!

Enjoy yourself!

--bruce T.

I would do the Cenotes as a separate excursion.  Heading to Tulum and then to a cenote would be time consuming and also not as full of an experience as either alone.  There 's a pretty good vegan food truck  near the entrance to Tulum.  Plus a whole bunch of spots in the small town with really good food for lunch.  But it's a bit of a hike from the beach.

We did Tulum with a lunch on the beach in June 2017 on Liberty of the Seas. I would definitely take a ship's excursion for this ... with the ferry ride to and from the mainland, it is a long excursion. Plus we had rain on the way back into town, which delayed us a bit.  Yes, there is a small beach at the base of the Tulum ruins, but the beach and lunch that we had was back into town a bit. It looks like a shack but the lunch was delicious and the sand and water were beautiful. They had chairs and table both in the shade and in the sun. It was in the summer so it was very hot and humid, but the ruins are incredible to see.