Asia with a 7 year old?

DevonianCruiser

We’re thinking of doing a cruise around Asia next year when our daughter is 7 and just wondered if the itineraries/countries are suitable for that age. Probably out of Singapore (we went there 3 years ago and found it fantastic so thought that might be a good base). Maybe stops at Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong etc. not sure which ones yet but those as an idea. In Europe we know the good itineraries for a child but no idea regarding Asia. Many thanks.

Singapore is probably the most suitable choice for you. The cruises there are already back to normal. The ship is Royal Caribbean's Spectrum of the Seas and it is suitable to children, and the sailings are not too long.

NCL will also be back to Asia but this will be in autumn 2023, after the Alaska season. Although the ship is smaller (Norwegian Jewel), it is also family friendly. But all the itineraries are 10 nights or longer.

Diamond Princess will be based in Japan. She will resume operations there from spring 2023 (if Japan government allows). Those cruises will sail to different Japanese ports and also include a few destinations in South Korea / Taiwan.

• Thanks 1

I've never cruised with a child myself, but my DH & I did b2b2b:s on RCIs Quantum (Spectrum's sister) out of Singapore just before covid hit. These short cruises seemed very popular with local families, and any itinerary that includes Penang, Phuket and / or Langkawi should offer plenty of excursions that children also would enjoy. Vietnam's Nha Trang and Kuching in Malaysia's Sarawak/Borneo should also be very good for families with young kids, 

• Thanks 1

I think it depends on the child!  Some kids are fabulous travelers (our DD was a seasoned traveler at 5) and others are miserable.  When we took our DD to Europe (using a Eurorail Pass) we made sure to include plenty of "events" that would be of interest to her.  So we had plenty of ice cream and Orangina breaks, and she still remembers buying a pair of shoes in Paris :).  

I will add that DW and I have always been very independent travelers, even when on cruises (we dislike large group tours).  Independent travel is ideal for children since the parents can vary the itinerary to best suit the child.  Sticking a child on buses with 50 adult souls who are doing adult things is not always a good idea.  But again, much depends on the child.

Hank

• Thanks 1