Vancouver Port for Disabled Assistance

Texascruiser2008

First time going out of Vancouver, we will be arriving by Uber, is there a special place to be dropped off for wheelchair assistance? We have advised Princess and it’s on my paperwork. I will have my walker which my husband will push but I need a chair at the pier as it’s too much for me. 

Any tips appreciated! 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:23 PM, Texascruiser2008 said:

First time going out of Vancouver, we will be arriving by Uber, is there a special place to be dropped off for wheelchair assistance? We have advised Princess and it’s on my paperwork. I will have my walker which my husband will push but I need a chair at the pier as it’s too much for me. 

Any tips appreciated! 

Hopefully someone can give you more advise.  

The only thing I can add, is the cruise ship terminal is on a lower level in Canada place.  You don't want the uber driver to drop you off on the street but to drive into the terminal, there is a vehicle ramp, that the uber driver can go down and that will bring them down to the correct level in the building, there is a taxi, uber bus, drop off areas .  I don't know what level of service is provided at the curb, hopfully someone else can answer that part. 

no problem. Have the Uber drop you at the drop off point underneath the terminal. There younwill give in your luggage to the people who get it on the ship for you. Keep your walker so you can sit, while spouse goes on shortbsearch for staff with wheelchairs. They are wandering about...just hail someone. They will take you to a line to get all regisrer etc. You may have to change chairs depending on if you get a person associated with your ship. They will keep you  right. You also get to go thru short lines! Do your arriveCan if required before. Upon disembarkation staff will assist with chair, luggage and get you to transport of your choosing.  Have a great trip.

9 hours ago, Texascruiser2008 said:

Thank you both for the great information!

You have nothing to worry about. We disembark on Tuesday from Alaska and the the above noted replies are correct. 

The spot for wheelchair assistance is not marked - or it wasn't as recently as June. It is on the lower level where vehicles drop off passengers. It is to the left of the baggage drop-off area. There are benches there and  shore staff who will phone for a wheelchair and attendant if there isn't one waiting.

From my experience the wait is short. On our June cruise aboard the Queen Elizabeth a person was waiting when we arrived at that spot.  I can't guarantee if this works for other cruise lines, but with Cunard you can arrive well before the time on your ticket. I usually go down to the boarding area the day before (assuming there is a ship or two boarding) and ask the shore staff if the procedure has changed and have always been advised to bring my wife there between 10:30 and 11:00.

The Vancouver terminal can be as bad as an airport, especially if there are two or three ships in.  The attendants have been very friendly and will take you to check-in (which is on the upper level) then back down where you started, through security, then US border control and finally to the waiting area. They will stay with you until the ship boards. They can't go on board the ship, so someone from the ship will have to take you on board. Fortunately my wife can walk a reasonable distance so does not need further assistance once the worst is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1