Mount Liamuiga Hike on St. Kitts

LEMJMcC

25 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

I just booked this excursion for February, 2023 with Royal Caribbean.  Has anyone taken this excursion?  How'd you enjoy it?  Any suggestions to make it more enjoyable?

Thanks.

I did it, but it was back in 2015. It is a pretty strenuous hike, and if you're not in halfway decent shape, you may not enjoy it. I was running half marathons back then, and while I wasn't gassed by any means, it was not easy. My BIL is not an athlete and got it done, but would likely choose a day at the beach next time. 

52 minutes ago, MiniChunks said:

I did it, but it was back in 2015. It is a pretty strenuous hike, and if you're not in halfway decent shape, you may not enjoy it. I was running half marathons back then, and while I wasn't gassed by any means, it was not easy. My BIL is not an athlete and got it done, but would likely choose a day at the beach next time. 

Thanks.  Both my wife and I are very active, though not marathoners by any means.    We've hiked Chimney Tops and Mount LeConte (up and back in one day) recently and run a few 5Ks each year.  We will use the time ahead of us to train a bit more for the hike.  The only thing that concerns me at all is the temperature...hopefully in February it won't be brutally hot!

25 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks.  Both my wife and I are very active, though not marathoners by any means.    We've hiked Chimney Tops and Mount LeConte (up and back in one day) recently and run a few 5Ks each year.  We will use the time ahead of us to train a bit more for the hike.  The only thing that concerns me at all is the temperature...hopefully in February it won't be brutally hot!

We did it in October which, by a chart I just looked up, seems to be a little warmer than February. I hate hot weather and didn't think the heat was overbearing. Definitely bring a camelback or something you can carry water in that you don't need your hands for. You will need those for the hike if they are still going the same route we took. The beginning was like a nice hike through the woods, but it gets steep and slippery after not too long. I had a blast, and would definitely do it again. One last thing i should mention, don't get your hopes up for a good look into the caldera. Again, we did it 7 years ago, so things may have changed, but it was densely wooded at the top. There were only a few small areas to look into once you were at the top. 

I've done it, loved it! I booked it through an independent (meaning not through the cruiseline) excursion company (Thenford Gray, also known as Gray's Island Excursions). There's another popular independent company called Poinciana Tours that gets recommended a lot. They cost the same, and we all ended up on the same tour bus and with the same tour guide. 

It's not a physically easy hike for people with mobility issues or anyone who doesn't generally exercise (walking doesn't count). It sounds like you guys are in good enough shape to do the hike so I think you should do it. 

It'll be hot regardless of the month you go, just wear sweat wicking clothing. I suggest running tight or hiking pants instead of shorts (because your legs will get scratched up in shorts), and a tight sweat wicking running shirt. Maybe even a sweat band. And bring water (I didn't need to drink mine til we got to the top, but was glad I had it).

I brought my hiking boots, but probably could have done it in running shoes. When deciding which shoes to bring, pick the ones you don't mind getting muddy (in case it rains). It rained the morning we did our hike. I almost cancelled, thinking it would be too muddy and slippery, but surprisingly, it was totally fine. There's so much tree cover that it didn't get too wet that day, but I've seen other people come back covered in mud. 

I'd also recommend bringing biking or weight lifting gloves so that you can more comfortably grab onto rocks and tree branches to pull yourselves up. They give you walking sticks, but I felt like they just got in the way, and using your hands was a lot easier.

I workout a lot, and I live in a high altitude, so I didn't find this hike to be hard, but a lot of the less in shape people were pretty miserable. Some turned back around, but most people made it to the top. We had to take a lot of breaks for them, so I wish we'd had a smaller group, because it ended up taking all day instead of being a quick 2 hour hike. But it was fun and I'd recommend it if you like to get your heart rate up. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I've done it, loved it! I booked it through an independent (meaning not through the cruiseline) excursion company (Thenford Gray, also known as Gray's Island Excursions). There's another popular independent company called Poinciana Tours that gets recommended a lot. They cost the same, and we all ended up on the same tour bus and with the same tour guide. 

It's not a physically easy hike for people with mobility issues or anyone who doesn't generally exercise (walking doesn't count). It sounds like you guys are in good enough shape to do the hike so I think you should do it. 

It'll be hot regardless of the month you go, just wear sweat wicking clothing. I suggest running tight or hiking pants instead of shorts (because your legs will get scratched up in shorts), and a tight sweat wicking running shirt. Maybe even a sweat band. And bring water (I didn't need to drink mine til we got to the top, but was glad I had it).

I brought my hiking boots, but probably could have done it in running shoes. When deciding which shoes to bring, pick the ones you don't mind getting muddy (in case it rains). It rained the morning we did our hike. I almost cancelled, thinking it would be too muddy and slippery, but surprisingly, it was totally fine. There's so much tree cover that it didn't get too wet that day, but I've seen other people come back covered in mud. 

I'd also recommend bringing biking or weight lifting gloves so that you can more comfortably grab onto rocks and tree branches to pull yourselves up. They give you walking sticks, but I felt like they just got in the way, and using your hands was a lot easier.

I workout a lot, and I live in a high altitude, so I didn't find this hike to be hard, but a lot of the less in shape people were pretty miserable. Some turned back around, but most people made it to the top. We had to take a lot of breaks for them, so I wish we'd had a smaller group, because it ended up taking all day instead of being a quick 2 hour hike. But it was fun and I'd recommend it if you like to get your heart rate up. 

absolutely agree with this.  I have done this hike 2x now and as long as you have proper shoes, water, gloves, hiking socks, water; and a hat or sweat band, it's not bad.  I've done this 2x in my 50's and I live in the northeast US.  If you want to get prepared for it, try the treadmill for 30 minutes on 3.0 at 10 incline.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips!  We are looking forward to this excursion as it seems a bit different than most.  We like to stay physically active and I don't mind a good challenge.  The workout will be great preparation for dinner that night😁.

I use workout gloves anytime I'm using my hiking poles simply because I sweat A LOT and those grips can get slick.  Good suggestion about a sweat band!  I've added the hydration packs and all the other items (poles, shoes, gloves, compression shorts, etc.) to the trip list I use for cruises so I don't forget.  That's one huge advantage of driving to port from the house; as long as I have room in the car, I can take it with me!

I'll have to incorporate some steep treadmill work into my weekly routine, at least it'll help me gauge my capacity.

Looking at TripAdvisor, I saw one tour that was over $300/person (Adventure Tours) while all the others are around $100/person.  I don't see what the extra cost gets a person.  I booked through RCI at $119/person mainly for convenience sake.

Thanks much!

It was $69 when I did it in 2018 (I just found the confirmation email). They've raised the cost a lot. Maybe the $300 tour is a private one. I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a private hike, but I'd pay $150, maybe even $200 for a private hike, only because you'd get done faster than going with the big groups.

My main gripe about the big group hike was that it took the whole day, and we could easily have gone to the beach for a couple hours or done some shopping afterwards had we not had to wait for everyone else. $300 isn't worth it though. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Thanks for the tips!  We are looking forward to this excursion as it seems a bit different than most.  We like to stay physically active and I don't mind a good challenge.  The workout will be great preparation for dinner that night😁.

I use workout gloves anytime I'm using my hiking poles simply because I sweat A LOT and those grips can get slick.  Good suggestion about a sweat band!  I've added the hydration packs and all the other items (poles, shoes, gloves, compression shorts, etc.) to the trip list I use for cruises so I don't forget.  That's one huge advantage of driving to port from the house; as long as I have room in the car, I can take it with me!

I'll have to incorporate some steep treadmill work into my weekly routine, at least it'll help me gauge my capacity.

Looking at TripAdvisor, I saw one tour that was over $300/person (Adventure Tours) while all the others are around $100/person.  I don't see what the extra cost gets a person.  I booked through RCI at $119/person mainly for convenience sake.

Thanks much!

Hopefully if group is big, they will split it as they did one of mine as its annoying both ways to people who are hikers as opposed to those who dress inappropriately (heels, flip flops, a dress) or have bad knees, heart conditions...etc...  I am usually the middle as I don't climb up as fast as others but I can always keep up.  Husband usually races with the guide for the Alpha prize.  Its a tough but doable hike.  Its definitely harder going down but if you are prepared to get muddy and have gloves, you'll have a great time.