Bar Harbor, Maine Port

Piglet0712

I’ve been reading several articles indicating the people in Bar Harbor are unhappy with the cruise ships coming to their port. They have even entered into an agreement to limit the number of ships and passengers that can enter daily and monthly. I have a cruise coming up that stops at that port. I’m reluctant to even get off the ship if they are so anti-cruiser! Has anyone else heard about this??

I had the same thoughts.  We are also on the Oct 22nd sailing.  We will be getting off the ship and it will be interesting to see how the businesses respond given that there have been a number of cancelled stops at this port from a number of ships due to storms.

Will the people want cruisers given they rely on the business and it is down this year due to weather?  Or will they use this opportunity in an attempt to escalate the reductions?     My guess is that the economics will win the day.

Bar Harbor has a thriving summer season from land tourists.  We were there the first week of October last year and shops, restaurants,  hotels and bars were preparing  to close for the season. I think  the free shuttle stops the second week of October,   I don’t think the business rely heavily on cruise ships.  Acadia National Park attracts many visitors.

I wouldn’t be afraid to get off the ship though.  Maybe ask the mods to move your thread to the Canada/NE forum for more discussion.  

Edited by milolii