Great Barrier Reef excursion from Cairns

minka34

There is an excursion from Cairns  - Catamaran to snorkel the GBR.  It says something like, or "you can snorkel, or join a semi submersible tour..."  I'm wondering if anyone knows if that would be an extra charge?  If so, approx cost?   The tour is $349 already and I cannot really snorkel well unless I can wear glasses.  DH really likes to snorkel - would it be a waste for me to go on the tour and not snorkel?  The semi submergible would be fine for me but depends on the added cost.  Hoping that maybe a past cruiser (maybe from the World Cruise?) would have some answers on this excursion?  Thanks!

We took the Viking GBR tour from Cairns on Inaugural wC.  Longish boat ride to a floating barge anchored over a part of GBR.  Had to squeeze into "stinger suits" as the little invisible poisonous jellyfish were about.  Getting into the suits is about like stuffing sausage and I am not fat at all.  Getting the wet ones off was worse.  The barge had a lower level with underwater windows which might be what they are referring to.  No extra charge for that one.  All in, if we end up back in Carins and decide to see the GBR we have decided a private helicopter tour would be money better spent.  Not sure about other GBR locations but the place we went all the coral seemed to be some shade of beige.  Much, much more colorful right off the beach in Cozumel.  A bit disappointing after all we had read/heard about the GBR.

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 2

We were there February 2020 on the Viking pre to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef.  There was a lower level viewing area on the floating platform but the underwater submersible was available as well.  No extra charge.  We did all three (snorkel, lower level viewing and submersible).  The submersible ride only lasted 20 minutes, but you can take it as many times as you want depending on the line.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, minka34 said:

I cannot really snorkel well unless I can wear glasses.

They usually have masks that have "corrective lens" faceplates.  I can't see the big "E" on the eye chart but they gave me a mask that worked.  I'm not sure all tour operators have them, you should ask.

• Like 1

We will be at the GBR Dec. 1st but the excursion offered by Viking was sold out before it got to us. I'm having a hard time finding one that works with our arrival and departure. Any suggestions. Does Viking add additional excursions?