Internet package

BuckGood

You now get free internet (for one device per guest at a time) and it worked pretty well on Odyssey last month (Inside Passage) for "normal" use (email, browsing, etc.).

If you need more connections or higher speed, you can still buy an "enhanced" package" but I have no idea of the price or exact benefits of the upgraded service.

• Like 1

Yes, there is an upgrade available. We are on Quest (Canadian Autumn, so just in Canada, and due to hurricane just on the St Lawrence Seaway and mostly sitting in ports).

We had just the "free" internet (and our cellular through Verizon) the first few days.  At popular times, it was impossible to do anything from our mid-ship deck 6 suite, a bit better in SB Square. So yesterday  we bought the enhanced version for $199.50, "unlimited", to last the rest of the cruise, to see what would happen.  

At the popular pre-dinner time, we still could not do anything at all with it from our suite, but had acceptable servce in the Square.  

Because the free wifi can be overloaded at popular times, in the smaller port of Trois Rivieres, the cellular service was also overloaded.

But this is par for the course, just plan accordingly (e.g., do bigger things like posting pictures, if you do that, or working, in less popular times).  For many years, in my experience, Odyssey and Quest had so-so internet at popular times, and it was worse in some suite locations (my worst experience was a PH suite far in the bow).  Of course, other luxury lines also have problems (other than Celebrity, where I was very impressed with Internet on the Edge).  

I am still quite happy to have internet at all when on a cruise!

• Like 4

We were on the Dover to NYC cruise earlier. Premium Internet - 4 devices and little (or no) restrictions on what you can connect to or stream is $19.95 USD/day for the remaining days in your cruise. It gets quite pricey for a longer cruise if you sign up early. Once you turn on Premium Internet, you have it for the rest of the cruise; no turn-on/off privileges. You can get a second free Internet if each person in the cabin has their own Seabourn Login.  We didn't realize that until one of the Seabourn Square reps pointed it out and helped us get our second account going.

I have a networking background and found that the free Internet was severely locked down. No DNS other than the ship's local DNS. No YouTube, Dropbox, Vimeo, VPN, etc.. No services using non-standard TCP/UDP ports, only HTTP & HTTPS protocols allowed. We did turn on Premium Internet with 3 days to go and found that we could access most anything, although not blazing fast, I didn't find any notable restrictions.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we were on the Quest in May/June this year we paid $25 a day for the upgraded package. The quality wasn’t good enough for my other half to watch football so we cancelled it and got a refund. We did manage to do what we wanted with the included internet and also Facetimed our family.

Also worth noting - the upgraded "stream" internet package that's available for purchase is included at certain suite categories.  We recently traveled in a penthouse spa suite and the upgraded internet was included.