Parking at Port Everglades

2chiefs

For those of you who are complaining about the Port Everglades parking facilities, signage, and so on, I'd like to point out a couple things. 

1.  First of all, I retired from there in 2005, what it is now is nothing like it was back then.  

2.  I actually worked for a Parking Management Company (USA Parking Systems which was eventually merged into Central Parking which was eventually merged into Standard Parking +) that was contracted to the Broward County Board of County Commissioners.  I reported to a Contract Administrator of the Port Authority.  We were a professional parking management company with a very impressive resume.   However, as dealing with many government agencies goes, the contract administrator and the director of the Port, who had no parking experience, ignored the advice of it's professional parking management company that they were paying for.  Same thing at the Airport.  It was so frustrating.  

3 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

So quick question.....I've read so many terrible stories about off site cruise parking lots where the cars get broken into and jamming the cars into the lots where there is so little room for the attendant to get out the car and dings up doors getting in and out.  HOW IS THIS LOT when it comes to those issues?  Not that these things can't happen at the port itself, but I always felt my car was "safer" at the post because of the "security" they have just to get in. 

First, any parking facility that brags about their security is only bragging that they have contracted a security company, provide their own inhouse security, or have the local policing agency(ies) frequently patrol the lot or a combination of all or part of the above.  Some actually have some good fencing.  BUT, none will guarantee security.  In other words, "YOU PARK AT YOUR OWN RISK".  Read your Ticket, it's your contract or ask for a copy of the contract.  Having said that, I would not park at any lot that the company that runs/owns it doesn't have security fencing and some kind of security patrolling 24/7.  

I've only parked my car at the Park N Go lot at Port Everglades and yes they stack the cars in tightly.  But, I haven't had a problem or damages with it.  When you return, the shuttle takes you to where your car is parked and it has always been in front of the other cars in line behind mine.  I believe they que up the cars as they will be leaving.  Yes, they park your car, which means they keep your key/fob.  I lock everything up in the car and I put the car in Valet mode and only give them one key/fob.  If you are a 2nd Amendment kinda person, you can't introduce your item(s) into Port Everglades.  Park N Go isn't physically inside the port.  I have a 2nd Amendment lock box that I secure inside my vehicle, it's secured with an aircraft grade cable to the vehicles hard structure, and I hide it as much/good as I can.

Every other place I've parked off port has been at the hotel that we've stayed at the night before embarkation.  Or at the terminal parking facilities like Miami & Galveston. My next cruise in 29 days, Canaveral, we are still trying to make up our minds but will probably park at the terminal.  The off port parking businesses sound great at first look but then when you get a quote, they charge an additional "Port Entry Fee" or what ever they call it.  Their total costs are usually only a few dollars cheaper than if parked at the Port of Canaveral terminal ($17.00 a day) and we don't have to hassle with a shuttle coming and going and tip coming and going.  It all adds up.  Having said that, keep in mind that I only endorse (a personal endorsement, not a paid or professional endorsement) Park N Go at Port Everglades.  They've done good by me and my usually large party a few times.  

• 3 weeks later...

Do you pay BEFORE you park or after?

Is there an attendant to pay or is it machine only?

Is is credit card only or is cash accepted?

Sorry, we are leaving out of PE in November and it's been so long since I've cruised out of there, I'm sure it's changed since 2015.

2 hours ago, mickeychicky said:

Do you pay BEFORE you park or after?

Is there an attendant to pay or is it machine only?

Is is credit card only or is cash accepted?

Sorry, we are leaving out of PE in November and it's been so long since I've cruised out of there, I'm sure it's changed since 2015.

At Park n Go at Port Everglades I have always paid when I booked. There is an option to pay there and the cost is more. I have had to cancel a few reservations in the last couple of years, within a few days I have always had my refund to my credit card. 

• Like 1