Passenger train services in Alaska: Seward - Whittier - Anchorage - Denali - Fairbanks

GTJ

7 hours ago, GTJ said:

New York City is the single most important city in the entire United States, and a majority of people therein are not licensed or capable of driving themselves. For the country as a whole, fewer than 85 percent of the people are licensed to operate a motor vehicle. Importantly, the percentage of people so licensed has been steadily decreasing over the past several years. While driving oneself can, in some circumstances, be one option, it is not a panacea, and one should not assume that driving is a viable option for all.

The relevance of the excerpt was to provide an example of persons flagging down a bus along a highway, at other than a scheduled stop. There had been some skepticism expressed over people actually flagging down buses on the highway, and rather than relying on relating my own personal anecdotes, I thought a piece of literature authored by a well-known journalist would provide authoritative illustration.

Maybe 40 or 50 years ago.  I seriously doubt that this is true now.  Basically the importance of cities in the US has moved westerly in recent decades.

DON

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Maybe 40 or 50 years ago. I seriously doubt that this is true now. Basically the importance of cities in the US has moved westerly in recent decades.

No serious person can dispute New York City being the single most important city in the United States. Certainly other cities--including those further west--have carved out their niches. But even the largest of those other cities, such as Los Angeles and Chicago, pale in comparison to the size and influence of New York. When persons overseas aspire to the United States, their focus is New York. Objectively, no other city, singularly, is as important as New York.