Vegetarian on Viking?

Shipsareus

Hi

We are seasoned cruisers but going on our first Viking cruise in a few weeks. I’ve been looking at reviews and YouTube and lots of meat and fish dishes are mentioned, but very little vegetarian options. Sample menus show extremely limited choices for vegetarians. Just wondered for those of you who have sailed with Viking previously if any of you are vegetarian, and if so did you find good choices?

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

I am also going on my first Viking ocean cruise next month and am a vegetarian. On two previous Viking river cruises I had excellent choices on one (due to a very helpful crew member), and poor choices on the other.  The online sample menus for the ocean cruise have token vegetarian choices that do not appear to change from day to day.  I wonder if the World Cafe is our best bet.  I'm curious what other vegetarians have experienced.

I’m not vegetarian, however I prefer vegetarian heavy meals. I found the World Cafe to be a great choice for me. There was always an individually prepared salad plate, sushi, pasta, fish and lots of small bites with vegetables. We never ate in the Restaurant. I did hear a woman ask specifically about wanting more options, and the next day she was served a special meal. Just ask if you don’t see what you can eat. 

Good point. That's what I did on our first river cruise, and the staff went out of their way to help. Mind you, I don't eat fish, so that made things more difficult. Still, I'm not anticipating any big problems on our upcoming ocean cruise.  And the World Cafe seems to get very good reviews.

On “My Viking Journey > Onboard Experience > Preferences > Dietary Restrictions” you can indicate your food preference. There are choices for Vegetarian and Raw Vegetarian among other options. This notifies the staff and they can assist you when dining. E3CE88A4-5431-488B-85C0-AE953A2854C9.thumb.jpeg.57c55a25b8f8a51d825e31883cb07381.jpeg

I’m vegetarian and gluten free and I did a back to back cruise over the winter and was on the ship for quite awhile. I ate well, if with a little repetition that I was perfectly happy with. My only issue was a short period in the afternoon when the pool grill was the only option and I could only eat French fries and salad. And honestly it was only a problem because I sleep very late and don’t like to eat right away so I was hungry right when everyone else had already had breakfast and lunch, so that was on me, lol. I figured out to start ordering room service breakfast as late as I could and then I would just eat it later. 

The Italian restaurant was my favorite place for dinner, they had a mushroom risotto that was so good. 

Thanks for the responses. I don’t eat fish either, but am fine with eggs and cheese. I’m sure that it will be fine, but when looking at sample menus from the dining room I didn’t see anything different or interesting. Looks like the World cafe could be our ‘go to ‘ . 
Thanks again

7 hours ago, Shipsareus said:

Thanks for the responses. I don’t eat fish either, but am fine with eggs and cheese. I’m sure that it will be fine, but when looking at sample menus from the dining room I didn’t see anything different or interesting. Looks like the World cafe could be our ‘go to ‘ . 
Thanks again

I found the World Cafe to be extremely flexible in preparing whatever you wanted. They are certainly not like a typical buffet where you have to take what’s there.  The chefs will adapt dishes to suit your needs.  Enjoy!

The vegetarian options in the restaurant are very limited.  The World Cafe was the best option for vegetarians on our cruise.  My cruise partner is a very picky eater and after struggling to find something for him to eat, we spoke with the restaurant manager, and he, also a vegetarian, made sure my partner had a good dinner every night.  Talking with the restaurant manager is the key.