Waitlisting an excursion with the HIA package

cruisintwinsmom

Excursions are filling up on my January cruise. I have waitlisted one that I would really like to take, but Holland America suggests signing up for a second choice in case a place doesn't open up. How does this work if I use the HIA perk to book the second choice and then my first choice becomes available? I asked my PCC and he didn't answer my question.

TIA

3 hours ago, cruisintwinsmom said:

Excursions are filling up on my January cruise. I have waitlisted one that I would really like to take, but Holland America suggests signing up for a second choice in case a place doesn't open up. How does this work if I use the HIA perk to book the second choice and then my first choice becomes available?

You can cancel the "second choice" excursion! I don't know what the last deadline for cancelling is, but I know that you can cancel a "complimentary" tour, because I did. The credit comes right back to you.

I signed up for a "best of" tour of the city of Loreto, then saw a trek in a canyon that spoke to me. When you have signed up for an excursion, the "Cancel this excursion???" shows right on your Itinerary in the booking. 

Specifics to waitlisting, I cannot speak to. But presuming the places show up pre-sailing, the cancel is easy. I think even if the opening doesn't happen until onboard, they would let you switch.

ETA: I once signed up for an excursion that never reached its minimum pax #. The Pursers/Front desk was helpful to put us in a different tour and the money-difference was taken care of smoothly (not a complimentary ShoreX, but just saying they will work with you even on board). Better to hold down your second choice lest it fill up too!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

You can cancel the "second choice" excursion! I don't know what the last deadline for cancelling is, but I know that you can cancel a "complimentary" tour, because I did. The credit comes right back to you.

I signed up for a "best of" tour of the city of Loreto, then saw a trek in a canyon that spoke to me. When you have signed up for an excursion, the "Cancel this excursion???" shows right on your Itinerary in the booking. 

Specifics to waitlisting, I cannot speak to. But presuming the places show up pre-sailing, the cancel is easy. I think even if the opening doesn't happen until onboard, they would let you switch.

ETA: I once signed up for an excursion that never reached its minimum pax #. The Pursers/Front desk was helpful to put us in a different tour and the money-difference was taken care of smoothly (not a complimentary ShoreX, but just saying they will work with you even on board). Better to hold down your second choice lest it fill up too!

Thanks so much!!! I did not want to lose the complimentary excursion.

Just did this for Rotterdam cruise 10/15.  Waitlist cleared E-Mail arrived a week ago that said place being held for 72 hours.  I first had to cancel alternative tour I had booked with HIA and then that amount automatically went toward cost of new tour.  Confirmation E-Mail followed and showed on my itinerary shortly after.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamsno said:

Just did this for Rotterdam cruise 10/15.  Waitlist cleared E-Mail arrived a week ago that said place being held for 72 hours.  I first had to cancel alternative tour I had booked with HIA and then that amount automatically went toward cost of new tour.  Confirmation E-Mail followed and showed on my itinerary shortly after.  

So you could use your excursion certificate on the waitlisted one when it became available? I just want to be sure I understand it clearly!  Thanks.

Yes.  Excursion certificate transferred automatically.  I had to pay by credit card the small amount more than the $100 allowance when I booked the waitlist tour.  Worked very easily. If you did not book an alternative tour and booking still shows available certificate, it will be used automatically.   If waitlist does not clear before departure, be sure to check for last minute cancellations with. Shore excursion desk.  They have always been very helpful.   Any available excursion allowance will stay in your account can be used on board.  

• Like 2