RCL- Half Day Catamaran Sail vs. DIY

TRAVELBUGCRUISER

Hi Everyone,

I've been to St. Thomas 3 times and each time I've done Magens Bay. I love it there but want to try something different and new.

I have my eye on the Half Day Cat Sail through the ship but I'm also a fan of exploring and doing a non-excursion.

Are there beaches of similar quality on St. Thomas to Magen's? I've seen pictures of Cinnamon Bay and Trunk Bay, they all look beautiful but I'm not sure I want to venture to St. John's without doing an excursion through the ship. What beaches might be recommended similar to Magen's Bay that I can just cab to from the port? 

Thank you !:)

No 2 beaches are alike, so that's not an easy question to answer. Secret Harbor is protected like Magens, but it's a smaller beach with less shade and limited chairs for rent.

Sapphire is a large beach by VI standards, but entry has some rocky parts, and the water may not be as calm. It has better snorkeling than Magens and plenty of chairs for rent.

Emerald. which is closer to the cruise docks, has an entry that slopes so some people with mobility issues find it difficult to get out of the water. Lots of chairs and umbrellas for rent.

Smith Bay (Lindqvist) Park doesn't have food/beverage concession.

Coki is very lively, small, and can get pretty crowded. Lots of chairs/umbrellas for rent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sapphire is always our recommendation. The bays are home to 3 (actually 4) condo properties. However unlike Secret Harbor, which is home to the Secret Harbour Resort and other condo properties, Sapphire offers the options of hanging by the bar/restaurant with most visitors where the sandy water entry is, or finding a spot under seagrape trees near the rocky, reef entry area.

Also gorgeous water colors (and great snorkeling) provided to you by the seagrass and coral, plus beautiful island views.

Sapphire is an amazing spot to rent a condo, or just visit for the day!

Trunk and Cinnamon Bay are also beautiful, and a self-excursion is the way to go for STJ. Very easy and safe, and you enjoy much more time going on your own versus through the ship. Hundreds of your fellow cruisers do this everyday.

The cat sail sounds very nice, you can’t beat a day on the water with a nice itinerary!