I wonder why......

I am a pretty NEW cruiser...I have only been on 2 cruises...one on the old Disney Big Red Boat and last April on the Navigator of the Seas. This April will be my third on Voyager.

I wonder why people cruise with RCI so often but complain about everything...the food, the coffee, the service, the size of the cabins, the condition of the ships..ie carpeting, furniture...prices of extras, the spa, lobster quality, getting on the ship, getting off the ship...I could go on forever

Maybe there is a better way to go......I am staring to think that RCI isn't really the best!

Anyone out there want to enlighten me?

But I think a lot of the negative reviews you might see here fall into two broad camps:

1. Those who have cruised RCI many times over many years. I think they are probably accurately describing a trend toward a more 'bare bones' service vs. the quality and extras of cruising years back. I also think this is probably a true assessment for most lines and represents the general state of cruising 'today' compared to 'yesterday', not just RCI. And that is probably why, despite this changes, they stay with RCI.

2. Those who either love to complain or have set an unreasonably high standard for their 'mass market' cruise experience.

In either case, the complaints seem not endemic of RCI, but the cruise experience in general. Now, if my little theory holds true, we'd be just as likely to see the same kinds of complaint posts on the other forums as well. I think I'm going to check that out when I get a chance.

I'm getting ready to sail on my third RCL cruise after two Carnival cruises began my addiction. I am a true RCL fan. I love the look of the ships, the service, the level of activities and the 'have a good time' atmosphere that is not quite as over the top as I found Carnival to be. I'm not crazy for their coffee and my experience with the food has run the gamut from good to great. Other than that, the list of positives goes on and on. I'm very happy with the product I've been paying for and see no reason to try another line. :D

Hmmm, where are all these negative posts, yes I see one or two, but I can go on any cruise line forum on CC and see just as much if not more, actually I know I will find more. I mostly see great reviews and alot of questions about things. What did you experience? if it was great why would you switch?

GCBCKat57 is on the mark about the changes! We have only been cruising now for 3yrs, and have noticed a change! But tried another "equal" line last Oct. and wasn't impressed at all! Plus we have friends that we do alot of our cruises with that have been cruising a few more years then us, and have been on a few more different lines and have told us the best was Celebrity but they are a bit more expensive and also there itinery are usually longer then our vacation time allows! They are going on Carnival for the first time next month, so we'll have to see what they feel about them!!

My in-laws have been on alot of cruises and say Crystal is the best they have been on, but also more expensive!

It's human nature to tell people when things go wrong, but actually takes EFFORT to tell people about the things that went right. When was the last time you came home from grocery shopping and told everyone what a great experience you had? Probably rarely, if ever. But it's typical "water cooler" discussion to talk about the long lines at checkout, the expired milk carton you found, etc. Unfortunately, we've become a society of complainers...

This is Cruise "Critic" ;)

Seriously, I don't mind hearing the complaints...to tell you the truth, those complaints help me figure out what is important to me and what's not. They also help me plan ahead.

For instance, the Grand Princess was beset with numerous problems before our cruise in December. People were complaining (and getting blasted for complaining) but it helped me out. I knew in advance to get in line at least 30-45 mins early for tender tickets. Saved me a lot of headache and a shortened port day. Some folks weren't able to get off the ship. Also, check-in was at the Hotel Galvez because there were 4 ships in port that day. I never would have known this if it weren't for Cruise Critic. My TA was never told and I was never told. We left 3 hours late that day because a lot of people didn't get the word. Thank goodness for the complainers on CC or I would have been one of those poor people waiting in line in cold rain just to get my cruise card and get on a bus back to the ship.

Here is one for the good guys. My DW and I went on our first cruise last year on Voyager. We decided that no matter what we saw on the posts, we would go with a completely open mind.

As a result, we had a fantastic time. Our cabin Steward (Wahyu) was superb and he managed to assist us with every request with a smile and promptness. Our dinning room staff Dave, Ahmet, Eddie and Rajiv were excellent and cannot find fault with them. The CD, Becky "hello luv" Thompson was a dynamo and kept the ship moving (she is no longer on the Voyager, I think she is on the Brilliance). Captain Sven Pettersen was gracious and even attended the reception for the 10th anniversary vow renewal for a couple that we were cruising with (he has since retired).

Ocean was smooth, embarkation was quick, no problems getting off and on at ports. We missed one port because of Tropical Storm Franklin, but the Captain found a smooth route for us and you would never know the storm was out there. Only issue was arrival back at Bayonne, but I am sure it is that way for all ships because no one wants to leave. Enjoyed it so much, we are going back on Explorer this summer.

I hope this helps you.

I personally like RC, for the most part. I admit their customer service has some issues when you call or email them but their cruise staff is usually wonderful. I had some issues on a short cruise that many people would be posting huge negatives and vowing to never sail RC again over, but at least it was a short trip. Only time I've ever been grateful to get off the ship. All my other cruises I almost needed to have my fingers pried off the door because I wanted to make another run. I'll be making my 6th trip on an RC vessel this Sept. If they sailed to the Galapagos I'd try them next year too. But I have to try their sister line Celebrity for that.

Its called Cruise Critic, not Cruise Loveit or "Good Cruise for Modern Man". People don't complain about RCI more than other lines, though the unusually large size of most of their ships give them a different personality. You would find more children and less complaints on the Disney Line, but that had more to do with the type of people who cruised that line. Anyway, relatively few people complain when they're actually cruising.

Archived