Whales!

sirenitas

I've been reading whale season started early this year with sightings around the Big Island and Maui. 

We will be on the PoA in a couple of weeks and had not planned on being able to actually see whales, but now I wonder if I should rethink some of our plans.

Would it be worth it to change plans this late in the game - and this early in the season? I know it is never guaranteed that you will see whales, but is it even a slimmer chance at this time since it has been just a few sightings?

Change your plans from what, to what?

The whale watch vendors don't usually start their specific whale watch cruises until early December. However, many of them do snorkel trips and you might see some whales while on those trips.

The whales have been coming earlier and earlier. However, it is not in large numbers, so yes, your chances of seeing whales the next few weeks are definitely slimmer than in the December through March normal season. The numbers of whales in the area in the "season" is probably in the thousands, and the vendors do truly guarantee sightings. We have whale watched in season about 20 times...never went without seeing whales. Nowhere near those numbers now.

Maui is the better area for whale watching, off Lahaina, or out of Ma'alaea Harbor, which is the closer area to where POA docks. Kona isn't bad, but its usually rougher there, and not as many whales as Lahaina area.

• 1 month later...

CruiserBruce offers good whale siting spots.  Lahaina of course was a whaling capital of activity back in the day.  Nawilili Harbor on Kauai is also good for whale sightings.

Yes, most definitely consider whale watching.  It's one of those magical events when you see them.