Cruising Virgin with Celiac

mrsderitis

Just booked on the Scarlet Lady for this July, after having to postpone last year's trip. I've since been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and need to eat a strict gluten free diet (it's a bummer). 

How is the selection of GF foods and safety/attention from the staff? I've seen a few blog posts, but most seem a little old or from Virgin's launch. Anyone cruise recently with this dietary restriction? 

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, kendid said:

For anyone wondering (a little off topic, but related) -- there aren't many options for diabetics or Keto on Virgin

Interesting....we observed a woman in The Galley having a communication difficulty with the man behind the counter.  She was insisting that she needed "sugar free" for her diabetes, and he kept saying that a particular item was "no added sugar."  It was fruit based, and fruits contain fructose--a sugar.  They were basically talking past each other and couldn't understand the terminology that each other was using.  She finally told him to give her "the lowest sugar you have," and he went to the back to have the chef come out to assist her.  If you advise a restaurant in advance of your needs, they will make special dishes for you!  But yes, they are definitely more prepared in advance for vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free diets.

I am allergic to black pepper and gluten intolerant. They did a wonderful job of adapting and advising on what would and wouldn't work.

I do have to say the the best cruise line for gluten free has been Celebrity so far.  Although that was pre-Covid by a month.