Rapid COVID Testing Pre-Cruise?

RaiderDuck

My wife and I will be sailing on the Carnival Splendor out of Sydney on November 10, boarding at noon. Current Carnival Australia policies require a rapid test within 24 hours or a PCR test within 48 hours of boarding, which will be impossible for us to get in the United States due to travel times, etc. The night before the cruise, we'll be staying at a Marriott near the harbor. Is there a good place nearby to get tested, or should we just buy two tests at a store back home in the US, pack them in our luggage, and take them the morning we board?

1 hour ago, RaiderDuck said:

My wife and I will be sailing on the Carnival Splendor out of Sydney on November 10, boarding at noon. Current Carnival Australia policies require a rapid test within 24 hours or a PCR test within 48 hours of boarding, which will be impossible for us to get in the United States due to travel times, etc. The night before the cruise, we'll be staying at a Marriott near the harbor. Is there a good place nearby to get tested, or should we just buy two tests at a store back home in the US, pack them in our luggage, and take them the morning we board?

If only a negative rapid antigen test (RAT) is required to board, just bring a couple of test kits from home. I say this with the proviso that the cruise line will accept any RAT kit and it doesn't have to be approved by the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) in Australia. Here is a link to the list of the TGA approved RAT kits - RAT Kits Approved for Use in Australia

RAT kits are readily available to purchase at pharmacies and supermarkets in Sydney. There are a number of pharmacies within easy walking distance of the Marriott if you want to wait to purchase a RAT in Sydney. 

• Like 1

If you look at Carnival's website, it says you can use any at home test you just have to take a picture of the negative test with your id next to it and it has to be time stamped 24 hours prior to cruising.  They will be doing spot checks on people as they board.