Car rental in Halifax?

I've read to rent a car in Halifax, but how do you find out pricing on the internet from these companies? I guess I need to know what street or where the rental companies are located near the pier. (most companies list several and I have no idea which one is by the pier)

Also I'm thinking we need to book ahead or has anyone waited until you've gotten there to try and snag a car?

When we were in Halifax there was at least one car rental booth at the pier. Unless you want to go to Peggy's Cover on your own IMHO there is so much to do in Halifax that you don't need a car.. You can walk to Maritime Museum, fortress, etc.

I visited Halifax in 2003 and 2004. There were kiosks at the dock, then they would shuttle you to their office. In 2003, we just walked up to the Hertz kiosks. In 2004, I had made previous arrangements with Enterprise -- which used to be at the train station, but may have moved.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read to rent a car in Halifax, but how do you find out pricing on the internet from these companies? I guess I need to know what street or where the rental companies are located near the pier. (most companies list several and I have no idea which one is by the pier)

Also I'm thinking we need to book ahead or has anyone waited until you've gotten there to try and snag a car?

A warm 'Welcome to Nova Scotia' bbiggar.......try Enterprise. They have a depot at the Westin Hotel across the street from the Pier 21......usually they will deliver but if not it's just a short walk across the street to the back door of the Westin Hotel....go up the steps on your left and out the front door....Enterprise is to the left. You must be sailing on the Carnival Victory.....I can't wait to see her again:D ....just sailed on it in Nov'05....wonderful ship and crew......have a great visit to Halifax.

Donna

Thanks Donna, but what address do we book with ahead of time if we us Enterprise? There are several rental places. What street is this hotel on?

Thanks for your help.

bbiggar.....I just checked with Enterprise...they have closed their depot at the Westin Hotel. I just spoke with the Westin Hotel and it now a National Car Rental www.national.ca (select 'Halifax-Westin Hotel for the pickup and dropoff location). Here is a map of the downtown area http://halifaxinfo.com/WaterfrontHRMt.pdf see where the #41, this is Pier 21...you can walk across the street (Marginal Road) into the back door of the Westin Hotel..up the stairs and out the front door to the left is National Car Rental. I know that Hertz had a spot right inside Pier 21 but there is always a big lineup for passengers getting cars for the day. At least you can get a good head start by going to National instead. The Via Rail train station is there also...and if you are in need of any snacks the Superstore (grocery store) is there too. What are your plans for Halifax? Let me know and I will see if I can help you out further.

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

I rented a car from National at the Westin the last time we stopped at Halifax a couple years ago and it worked very well. We're booked on a July cruise that stops at Halifax and plan to use them again. Perhaps I could also solicit an opinion from Donna. We've been to Peggys Cove and Windsor (daughter wanted to see birthplace of hockey) and plan to go down to Lunenburg this time. Is that a worthwhile trip? I understand that the Fisheries Museum there is quite good. Are there villages along the way that would warrant a stop? Your thoughts would be welcome.

I rented a car from National at the Westin the last time we stopped at Halifax a couple years ago and it worked very well. We're booked on a July cruise that stops at Halifax and plan to use them again. Perhaps I could also solicit an opinion from Donna. We've been to Peggys Cove and Windsor (daughter wanted to see birthplace of hockey) and plan to go down to Lunenburg this time. Is that a worthwhile trip? I understand that the Fisheries Museum there is quite good. Are there villages along the way that would warrant a stop? Your thoughts would be welcome.

Hi JimN

I am living in Halifax and must say that Lunenburg is a beautiful place to visit. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and you won't be disappointed. There are a couple of different routes to the town. The 103 highway does not pass through any communities, but is the quicker route. The more scenic route passing through many small communities is the #3 highway. They run somewhat parallel. The #3 will take you on the outskirts of Chester (a beautiful village - worth a brief detour) and through Mahone Bay. The view as you descend the hill into Mahone Bay is breathtaking. If you need any futher info, ask away...:)

Denise

Jim....I think the drive to Lunenburg is a great option. If you follow the 'Lighthouse Route (http://novascotia.com/en/home/planatrip/gettingaround/scenic_travelways/lighthouse_route/map_lighthouse.aspx) on this map you will see the villages/towns of Hubbards, Chester and Mahone Bay....this is a very nice drive with beautiful scenery.....I try to do this myself at least once a year:D. It would take about 1 1/2 hours one way from Halifax to Lunenburg. Also along this coastal drive you will drive by 3 of the Monuments to the Swiss Air Plane Crash. Of the three I would stop at the Burial Ground....it's heart breaking to see all the names listed...but well worth the stop to pay your respects. Lunenburg is full of history....I'm not sure if the 'Bluenose' will be there. If not you'll likely see her in Halifax. You will find lots of resturants and shops along the way.

I see that you were in my town of Windsor....If you had continued up the Annapolis Valley along the Evangeline Route you would have come to the village of Grand Pre...this is where the National Historic Site of the Deportation of the Acadians is.....the French were forced to leave Nova Scotia and they settled in Louisianna. The decendends come here almost every summer for a reunion...big party:D . This is another nice drive from Halifax...it should take about 1 1/2 hours oneway.

Jim I hope this helps in making your return visit a memorable one....let me know if you need anymore help.....best regards, Donna

Archived