Self service soda?

zorky12

2 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

Which ships have the self service sodas?

Only the Excel class: Mardi Gras, Celebration, and the Jubilee. I’ve heard that if it’s popular they’ll do it fleet wide. I hope that’s true because I loved it, flaws and all. Much better than waiting forever at a bar. 

4 hours ago, slavigne5577 said:

So do they charge an 18% tip on a drink you served yourself?

You've already paid the tip if you have bottomless bubbles or Cheers.  If you don't have the packages, yes, you would be charged the 18% on the soda you poured just like you would be charged it at the self serve beer station.

15 hours ago, btyko said:

Is the soda from the machines cold?  I hate drinking warm soda with ice. 

Great question!   I always got the ice first and then used the machine, so I'm not sure.  

I HOPE it was at least slightly chilled, as it is in most fountain machines. 

I dislike getting warm cans of soda over ice on Carnival.  Had a bartender on the Horizon (at P&A) offer to get a can from the cooler behind the bar, and I promptly tipped him a dollar (instead of 50 cents) on my Cheers receipt for that courtesy.  

• Like 1

I would not use the self serve soda unless you were on Cheers or Bottomless Bubbles.

The first time I used the self serve the soda I selected was not dispensing the proper amount of syrup... I ended up get a cup of colored soda water.   All throughout the week there seemed to be at least 1 dispenser at each station that was not working.  So, if you were paying for each use, you now have to go down to guest services and argue that the machine was not working and request a refund.

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, dolphinsfan246 said:

I’m so glad I don’t have to go to a bar to get a soda on Mardi Gras next week! I’ve experienced exactly what you mentioned a few times this year. One bartender basically threw a can at me, no cup or ice just the can and basically shewed me away like I was a bother. 

I’m sorry that happened to you.  Seriously, that is not ok and I would have reported it to Guest Services.  Only been on Carnival once, looking at booking two more.  Always treated so well on Royal, even with just the Soda or Refreshment package.  I do tip extra, especially when they bring us the Sodas to the table in the bars, but it’s after getting such good service.